custom wound pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SummerSoft, Jun 29, 2005.

1. SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    I am to get a custom bass, and I hear some luthiers wind their own pups.

Is it possible to get the sound I want from those custom pups? For example, if I want them to sound like Fralins or like Bartolinis, can that be done? Can they sound even better?

Or should I just get some common pups?

2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    No offense, but if you want pickups that sound like Fralins or Bartolinis why not just get Fralins or Bartolinis?

Edit: BTW, Fralin will wind or underwind pickups to your taste. Don't like 'em? Send them back and he will rewind them for you no charge. At least he used to offer that guarantee, I imagine he still does but I think that is only if you get them direct from him. Call him and see.
  3. SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    I don't know much about pickups and why different pups sound different to each other.

And I didn't want to get pups that would sound like Fralins or Barts.. I just wanted to know if it is possible to get the sound I want from some custom wound pickup.
    I mean, is it possible to wind pickups in the way to get the sound you want?

P.S. sorry for my bad english
  4. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Different pickups have different tonal characteristics. If you are going to have a bsss custom built I would suggest you choose a builder (Carey Nordstrand, for example, has many fans on this forum) and tell him what you want in the way of tone and let him make suggestions as to pickup choice. Carey makes his own pickups so he might be just the guy you need.
  5. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    The other suggestion would be to get the bass made, using a standard pickup shape eg J's, P's, EMG35/40/45 etc and buy a few pickups secondhand and do some experimenting. More work, but eventually, you'll get the sound they you're after.

6. Befor you order a custom made bass you need to know exactly what you want and be able to articulate it. Many builders will make pickups for you. Others will install what ever pickups you want in the bass for you. The first thing you will need to do is figure out what you want the bass to sound like. For example, if you like the Music Man Sting Ray sound thn you tell your uilder that you would like one of his basses but you really like the Music Man sound and you would like your bass to sound as close to that as possable.
  7. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    It should be quite possible to wind pickups that produce the sound you want.
    There are certainly other important factors in the sound equation as well, factors such as wood choices and construction method, and also placement of the pickups.
    Also, it is important that you and the pickup builder understand each other. This may seem obvious, but I mention it because words used to describe sound have different meanings to different people, especially in different cultures and different languages.

One thing that would be interesting to do: get a bass with EMG Extended series pickups, those with the little quick-connectors on the pickups. Then you can buy (or perhaps lend) different EMG pickups and try them out quick and easy. The Extended series are all the same shape, but with many different coil configurations that sound different: there are P-style, J-style and two different Dual Coil pickups.

My bass has pickups made by BassCulture in Germany: those are dual coil MM-style pickups, switchable between series and parallel operation. I think they sound great!