Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Customer Service- Myth or Reality?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassic83, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    With a recent spate of threads popping up about customer service nightmares, I thought I'd take this opportunity to ask whether you think customer service has become a "lost art"? Or, perhaps you have been treated so well by a company that you wouldn't dream of buying from someone else? Let's post some comments, pro and con.

One of the areas I see coming up repeatedly is a lack of communications. How can you run a company that is in the business of selling something and not communicate with people? Especially paying customers? This one baffles me. If you've got too many orders, why would you not tell someone ahead of time "Hey, I would love to take on your project, but I need to make you aware that I am really swamped right now, how comfortable are you with a delay of *insert timeframe here*?" Or letting someone know you're running behind- "Hey, I know I told you that your widget would be ready on so-an-so date, but I've had a setback in that one of my suppliers went belly-up on me, and I need to get a new source for *part name here*. I wanted to keep you in the loop on this, so that we can come up with a realistic timeframe on your delivery."

I know that custom builders are a hybrid of artist and businessman, with the business end usually getting the short end of the stick, but come on! It's a very basic element of business that is being sadly ignored these days. Forging solid, trustworthy relationships with customers=GOOD. Pissing them off because you can't be bothered to make a 2-minute call to let them know what's up after you've taken part or all of the money=BAD!

2. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Jorg Schroeder is the first person that comes to mind when I think of top notch customer service and I bought his product used from someone else. He made me an offer when I thought I wanted to sell my 1210 that left me picking my jaw off the floor I was so shocked at his offer. I would post it here, but I'm afraid people would be contacting him trying to get the same offer he contact me about.

In my book, customer service speaks for your product. If you have a great product, you shouldn't be scared to back it up.

3. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I think it's the lost art, and the only thing that can/will save high-end retail. In the DC area, there are only two people I will buy from:

Jong at jivesound: Aguilar, Lakland, TI, and more

Brian Meader at chuck levins: Acoustic Guitars, Fender, MusicMan, Ken Smith

To give you an example of why I like to give Brian my dough, I bought the first Ampeg SVPCL preamp from Brian. It had a low assed output and didn't drive my preamp. So, he took it back, talked to Tommy at Ampeg, and got Ampeg to modify it. He gave me a loaner in the meantime. The mod Tommy made ended up being a new standard feature. Think that'll ever happen at GC?

I buy stuff from Jong cuz he's a bass super geek. Just like me.