1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Customer service question (pedal-related, kind of)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Adamixoye, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Okay, so I've had my eye on a particular power supply. I can't believe how much I'm willing to spend on it, but between suppressing noise and the convenience of no wall-warts, I'm willing to do it.

I had a gift certificate to a major retailer, and searching their site, found that they had a used version of this PS for sale. I first saw it on Thursday, and I called Friday morning to order it. At the time I ordered it, it was still showing up on their website. I spoke with a real person to order it and everything on their end appeared as though they still had the item.

30 minutes after I ordered, I got a backorder notice. Naturally, this is weird, because how can a used item be backordered, right? Later in the day I called, and they opened a ticket to look into it. They said they would get back to me within 24-48 hours, and we're just beyond that (they're open 7 days a week, I'm not sure if the weekend would affect that). So I'm planning to call tomorrow.

Here's my question: if the worst case scenario is that they had sold the item before I ordered it (and system slowness/glitch allowed them to think it was still available), is it reasonable for me to ask that they simply sell me a new one at the discounted price I paid? It's not like they can guarantee when they'll get the item in (or that they ever will).

2. Forgedaboudit.

3. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    As in, forget about getting my item? Your response isn't clear or helpful.

4. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    You can ask but it's unreasonable to expect them to do it. You could reasonably expect them to laugh.

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    At best this was an honest mistake on their part, at worst it's a bait and switch scam; the cheaper item is suddenly not available but they have a more expensive one in stock.

What you can expect is just getting your money back, they have no obligation to sell a new item for the same price. Personally I would not buy the new item from this store anyway, unless they do a good-will thing and lower the price a lot, but I'd be surprised if they do.

6. You'll have to spend your gift certificate dollars on something else. If there was extra cash paid they have to give you a refund of the extra. They don't owe you a new one for used price. Be nice and they might sweeten up the new deal.

7. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I realize this may have come off as crying over spilled milk. However, the argument would be that I completed a good-faith transaction which they are unable to fulfill based on their error, and which they can correct at only slightly increased cost to them.

8. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    You can always ask.

9. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Oh I definitely will. Just wanted to know if people on the board felt it might be justified. But apparently, you guys are a bunch of tough cookies. :D

10. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Hearts of stone. :)

EDIT: If you ask nicely maybe they will compensate you a bit for making you disappointed in them, I don't see anything wrong in trying that.

I do like to consider both sides though; if it was an honest mistake I personally don't feel good about taking advantage of some music store employeee and demanding I get a lower price because s/he made a mistake. Some will say I'm too nice, I've seen some customers become really angry and demand the lower price in quite nasty terms, but I can empathize with the person on the other side of the counter as I'm certainly not perfect myself.

11. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It's reasonable to ask for 10-15% off if they did sell it. Just be nice but somewhat firm about it.

12. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    The used price was only 20% off new to begin with (but, considering the price of the item, this is not just a few bucks). My gift certificate is a fixed dollar amount, but works out to another 16-17% off the new price. It's worth noting that the company also regularly offers 10-20% discount promotions, though heavily restricted by brand, combining with other promos, etc.

I definitely don't blame the guy I was on the phone with, I'm sure it's a quirk in their system. Sometimes, and I'm not necessarily proud of this, but I can be "that guy" with customer service people when I feel I've genuinely been wronged. This is more of a grey area, so I wouldn't do that here.

13. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Well, after a few calls to customer service---not asking for a discount, but trying to figure out what was actually going on---they determined that yes, in fact, the item had been ordered by someone else. I didn't even have to ask, and they offered me 15% off of a new one and allowed me to stack my gift certificate with it. So I got a new one at close to the price I was aiming for. I'm reasonably satisfied (though it is still a difference of $15).

Since the story has a positive resolution, I will reveal that the company was Musician's Friend.