Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Customer Service Raves

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bard2dbone, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Hey gang. I don't know if this belongs in here or in miscellaneous, but I had to sing some praises and thought that I should offer the opportunity for others to do the same.

Among my instrument menagerie is the most frustrating instrument in the world. I have a Chapman Stick. It's the ten-string, ironwood bodied original version, made in 1981. Every so often, I see and/or hear someone who can play the instrument the way it is meant to be played, and I get all inspired and try to get the hang of it again. It never works. I still suck on this thng. So it goes into my closet for up to a couple of years at a time. Recently I got inspired again and decided to break it out and give it a try. But this was the longest time it had set idle recently, almost eighteen months.

So I ordered some new strings, they got here today. I started changing the strings and cleaning up my Stick. Well I broke a string, and while removing the scrap of string from the headstock, I um...broke the nut...twice. It's a wooden nut. And it's twenty four years old. It was fragile. The sections on the outside of the first and tenth strings just fell away. They had probably broken under the static stress of waiting in my closet since the last time I tried to get the hang of this instrument, but I didn't notice anything was wrong untill they fell off.

Okay, so there I am with a broken instrument, and the only people in the world who routinely make the part that is broken haven't made one like this in ten years. Sounds like I'm going to have to get a local luthier to custom make the pieces I need. Heavy heavy depression sets in. But I call the Stick people in hopes that they have some of these nuts left over, like on a shelf somewhere.

I talked to Yuta Chapman. The wife of the inventor is the customer service person, how cool is that? She listens to my description of the problem and says "That will be difficult we have made those out of several different kinds of wood, it was a bit different each time. Let me get Emmett." The inventor himself gets on the phone, talks for just a moment or two, figures out which kinds of nuts I need, says he will make them and send them to me. I ask how much it will cost. He said don't worry about. It's free.

A consultation with the head of the company and a free part replacement on a broken twenty-four year old part!

Just try that with any of the biggies. Wow. I am so impressed I can't stand it.

So share your stories. Is anybody else as cool about this stuff as the Stick people were today?

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Spector.

3. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I will 2nd spector! It was so awsome to talk to all them when i had my bass buit! And every time i have a wuestion they reply withing a day or so! Those guys at spector would bend over backwards for there customers. And for you guys that have played long enough warwick used to be very user friendly! Back before they got so huge!

Tell ya the worst is musicians friend by any measurment! Sorry have to grump i have e-mailed them like 8 times now asking them if they would offer the DR peacock blues or not! Not even a computer responce!

4. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Wow i didnt notice how bad my grammer was on that last post! Sorry last night was my 5th show in 6 nights! Fingers r in a bad way!

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I've got to say, twenty four years before the first major repair is pretty rockin'. But then it isn't getting played as regularly as it should.

6. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    John Suhr provided me with the best customer service I have ever received from any company. I ordered one of his J Basses from a dealer of his who had one in stock. When I received the bass I noticed that the gloss finish on the inside of both horns was defective. It was lifting away from the body and looked white in color.

When I called the shop, someone handed the phone to John and we talked about the problem. He said he was very sorry it happened, it was their fault, and told me what caused the problem. I mentioned to John that I sold a 4-string bass to get this and I couldn't be without one for too long. John said, "Well, there are two ways to do this. Either you can send this one back and we will refinish it ASAP, or we can build you another one and you can use the one you have until you get the new one."

Of course I picked to keep the bass until the new one arrived. John also threw in an upgraded 1 pc. nicely figured Ash body and a preamp. Let me tell you folks, there are not many companies at all that will give you this good of customer service. He treated me with a great deal of respect and also trusted me with his bass until I received the other one. It doesn't get any better than that - EVER!

Not only is Suhr's customer service #1, his J Bass will knock your socks off. It is by far the best constructed and finished bass I have ever played or owned. It is also the smoothest and best playing bass I have ever put my fingers on. If you like J Basses, you are doing yourself a disservice by not trying one out.

http://community.webshots.com/user/pistoleroace

7. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    I will 3rd 'Spector'!

Stuart, PJ and the crew have all been incredibly helpful everytime I've dealt with them by phone and e-mail.

They have priority-shipped delayed equipment and kept me up to date with progress on any of the incredibly rare problems I've ever had... :)

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well since that particular request doesn't seem to be bass specific... :p

I once had a Smith and Wesson semiauto pistol that started having major problems not long after I got it. I called them and they said send it. I sent it, they replaced the barrel and mags and tested it and I had it back in my hands within a week from the time I sent it off. That was pretty incredible for such a large company. They must have worked on it the day they got it.

brad cook

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    jerrold with ampeg helped out

10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    A few years ago I called SWR tech support to request replacement casters (actually, just the female part of the detachable casters) for my cab. They charged me 50 cents a piece or something and sent them right out along with new casters. I was prepared to pay at least 5 bucks each.

Note: this was before the buyout.

11. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Thanks for reminding me, I have one with a broken tip that needs to be replaced.

12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I had a Pedulla Buzz circa mid 80's, it developed a back bow in the neck, unreparable by any one locally. I called Mike, it was out of warrenty, he had to pull the fingerboard, replace the truss rod, replace the fingerboard and refinnish. Only charged me for shipping!!!! Can't beat that. That bass was 5 years out of warrenty

13. Euphonic Audio was top notch.

I will second the feel of a Suhr J Bass. There is one in a shop locally and it is great. I would say second only to my prototype T-Bass ;)

14. I had the worst customer support from SWR before the buyout, and a little better than that after the buyout. A brand new SWR head blew on me (less than 3 hours of being plugged in) and it took out my SWR 4x10. Somehow I was forced to pay full price for one recone, parts for two (they actually lost the two I sent) and got one for free after I dealt with a different CS guy. I also asked if they had any of the old badges for the Goliath II and Triad because mine were worn. The guy said, 'yeah, I'm sure we could find a few laying around- I'll throw it in' and charged me around $13 a piece for the badges. I was also missing the screw off piece to the black banana jack plug- he said he'd found the last black banana jack plug in the building and that he'd thow it in. Charged me $8 for that. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $34 plus shipping for obsolete parts for cabinets that had been discontinued 3-4 years earlier. Not to mention somewhere around $200 + shipping for repairing my speakers that their amp under warranty blew. They had that head repaired, but it still kept blowing fuses, so the store gave me a hella deal off another SWR turd of an amp.

They also charged me .40 a piece for the fuse clips for the horns.

I (still) think my SWR cabs sound amazing- when my SM-900 is working it sounds phenomenal. Before the Bass 750 blew up my cabs and before it blew fuses it sounded wonderful. I gave the company the benefit of the doubt and they bent me over. The amps and customer service have left the most rancid rotten egg taste in my mouth even a corporate merger cannot erase.

The current SWR/Fender CS of ignoring the customer is preferable to actively bending the customer over.

Gibson's Custom Shop has been really good to me, they've sent me several replacement switch tips for ones that broke inside the case- they also sent me a replacement Les Paul pickguard bracket because the screw came undone.