Customer Service: The Good and the Bad

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by doc540, Jan 17, 2004.

1. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    You're welcome to add your comments about customer service you've received (or not received).

My report is about Dave at Avatar Speakers.

It just couldn't get any better. He promptly answers emails, actually answers the phone himself most of the time, never acts rushed or short with you, and generally takes care of business.

Without a doubt, he's provided the best customer service of any music-related company I've ever done business with.

Dave is the MAN!
  2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Wanna hear something sad? I don't think I've ever received service that was so good, I had to rave about it. I've had bad service, mediocre service, good service and quick service, but never blow-your-socks off, I'll-be-sure-and-tell-my-friends-about-you service. Maybe it's a Wisconsin thing, or maybe I'm just too demanding. Weird, huh?
  3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I'm with doc540...

I've contacted Dave a number of times via phone and email. Each time I have had an excellent experience.

A couple examples...

1. Early last year, I called to order a couple Delta 12LFs and some tweeters. I initially ordered a pair of 12s and two tweeters.

About 10 minutes after Dave and I hung up the phone, I decided I wanted a third tweeter for another cabinet. I called Dave back to add to my order...they already had it packed and ready to 10 minutes! He was happy to add the third tweeter to my order though.

2. A few days before Christmas, I called to order a B210. Dave was aready on the phone with another customer, so I talked to Spence (who was every bit as helpful and friendly as Dave). About 15-20 minutes after I ordered, Dave called to say thanks and to apologize for not being able to take my order personally.

I have others too but you get the idea.
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    When I was deciding whether or not to buy a new Eden WT-550 last year (after the buyout), I called MN to ask a few mildly technical questions and ended up speaking to David Nordchow (sp?) himself. He seemed happy to spend 20 minutes shooting the bull and answering questions. What a great guy, and great service!
  5. Best customer service I've had was from Peavey. I picked up a used Databass combo that was missing a couple of knobs, so I emailed their customer service asking about price and delivery. Two days later I opened the mailbox and they had sent me two knobs, free of charge.:D
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Yeah, David Nordschow is a nice guy...I got to meet him when Eden did a clinic at Gand in Northfield last year.

I'm quite envious of both David Nordschow (David Eden) and Dave Noss (Dave Avatar)...they're both doing what I've always wanted to do (ever since highschool way back in the '70s)...but never had the stones to take an honest shot at it.

I've heard and read great things about Peavey too. I read in interesting story in the Peavey Monitor one time about the restoration of Skynyrd's old Maces and such...Peavey employees were digging up parts that we're even on the books. Really showed that they care.
  7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Bsaed on my own experiences, here's who I consider to be good, and who isn't.

Absolute worst: FENDER!!!
    The people at the company act like they can't be bothered, and I still have yet to come across a good authorized dealer. I'll admit, I like their basses-the ones I now have anyway. But quite frankly, next time I want a new bass, I'm getting something else. Same reason I'm replacing my BXR 100 with a Yorkville XM200. Fender's CS sucks so bad IMHO, I'm not buying their gear anymore. When something wears out, it gets replaced with something else.

Good service: Peavey. It takes them a bit of time to get back to you, but they do, and they're very nice about things.

SWR was good. I had questions about a Workingman's 15 combo a few years ago, and they were very nice and helpful. However, since they are now owned by Fender, I wouldn't chance it.

So-so: Carvin.
    I called with a question a couple of months back about a bass(I know this is amps, but I feel since they deal in both, it may be indicative as to how they do things)The guy sounded like he was being bothered too. Then came; so, you ready to purchase now? That was pretty much the end of the conversation.

I don't know about anyone else here, but I take customer service into consideration when buying a piece of gear. If it sucks (like say, Fender's?)I look elsewhere.
  8. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    I'm a little prejudiced since my career is in customer relations and training, so you better believe customer service makes a difference to me when it comes to a purchase.

btw: When you do get good customer service, I suggest you ask to speak with a supervisor and give them the person's name and specifically what they did right.

In many cases that can make the difference when it comes to promotions, raises, and bonuses. If nothing else, it let's the company know it matters and who within their company is doing a good job.

Most supervisors are totally shocked to hear a good report since all they usually hear only the horror stories.

One other benefit: when you call back again, the person you gave the good report on will remember you and take super good care of ya!
  9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

I've never owned any Fender stuff but a friend of mine had a real bad experience with them. He had a relatively new guitar and eventually found that it had a warp that led to fret buzzing in the lower registers. He called Fender warranty service and the person told him to take the neck off and send it in. So he took the neck off. Don't remember for what but he called them back to ask them a question and they informed him that he had voided his warranty because he had taken the neck off. OK? So he was basically left holding the bag.
  10. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Well, it seems that Fender thinks it can ride on it's name. Problem is, it seems no matter what you get, or where it was made, their quality control sucks real bad as of late.

The they couple that with awful customer service!!
    So, I've decided my money can be spent on other things in the future.

Oh, again I know this is amps-but the best CS I've ever received was from Warmoth. VERY friendly people, from the one who answers the phone, to the person who helps you fill your order. I bought Schaller tuners, and Gotoh bridges from them. Next time, I'll make sure to call a supervisor, and let them know of my positive experinces(my salesman was a guy named Bill)

I've never spoken to Dave at Avatar on the phone, but I've emailed him with questions. He answers right away too. What can you say about an owner who picks up his own phone? Think Fender will do that? Nah!
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    andy at Acme
    nick at Epifani

few who are better. :cool:
  12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Big kudos and excellent "above and beyond" customer service from manufacturers:

John and Gary at EA
    Mark at Accugroove

More positive experiences with manufacturers:

Rich Raezer at Raezer's Edge
    Brett at Epifani

Great customer service from retailer:

Gard at Bass Central
    All the guys at Low Down Sound

Most disappointing customer service:

Ashdown - couldn't find a phone number, and the on-line e-mail didn't work. Then, when a fellow TBer forwarded a tech support e-mail address to me, I never received a reply.

13. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Best: Steve at Raven Labs. My adaptor was bad and he sent me a new one no questions asked.

2nd Best: Ernie Ball was super fast at dressing the frets on my Stingray. I had it back within a week after they received it!

Jim Bergantino gets a thumbs up too! Great guy... seems interested in talking with nearly every person that buys one of his speakers.

Worst ever: Andy at Acme

Edit: I took out the details of my experiences with Andy. I dont think its fair to bash and thats why I took it out but I had a genuinely bad experience with him. He was not a nice guy (in person). Anyhow, I still bought his cabs which says a lot about his product. They are good speakers and perform as advertised.
  14. Ditto.
  15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I received excellent customer service from Barb, and Mike at Eden. They sent me a part for free that they easily could have charged me for. Another time I called, Mike stayed on the phone and talked me through the entire problem I was having. They said I could speak with Dave, I assumed it was Dave N., if I wanted to call back when he was there. Mike solved my problem for me.

Judd from BBE, a fellow TB'er, was super cool about helping me with my used 383 pre-amp. I felt he went above and beyond what anyone would expect.

PJ from Spector spent alot of time with me helping me set-up my bass correctly. He responded to my e-mails really fast, and offered support by phone if I needed it.

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Now that you mention it, Eden has given me very good customer service in the past as well.

17. ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    A+ service = Roger Sadowsky, Dan Laklin at Lakland, Aguilar, Sheldon Dingwall.
  18. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Andy Lewis was very helpful when I emailed him about a used Acme cab I bought on Ebay. The "mint condition" cab had arrived with cracked & scarred corner protectors. Andy said he had some "almost new ones" laying around, and sent 8 of them.. no charge. He would have paid for the shipping too if I hadn't insisted on paying it.
  19. Customer service that I've not received: Some people have heard this before...I purchased an amp from a PLACE in the southwest. They sell BASSes. I bought the amp new, it arrived dead, and they wouldn't do anything about it. I guess the positive thing I can say is that I ended up having to deal with EA and discovered how well they take care of their customers.
  20. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Brett @ Epifani. Really took care of business.

Dan @ Bag End. Quick responses. Thourough and helpful.

Stewart Audio. One problem a long time ago. I had to have it fixed right away. They fixed it right away, the same day.

Flite Sound. Not sure if Kurt's still around, and I won't go into it, but bad, just bad.