Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

customizable bass question(s)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flanken, Jan 12, 2003.

1. So I have been given the wonderful opportunity to have someone build me a completely customizable bass guitar based on my specifications, but at the same time I have the daunting task of finding out exactly what I want for the instrument...

Right now I play on an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string with a rosewood fretboard and I love it, but now that I can choose the wood type for the body and fretboard, I'm stuck... There seem to be so many options, and so many different types of sound that they all can generate, I'm a little overwhelmed at trying to make a decision.

If anyone has any advice for someone building a bass guitar for the first time, please let me know. Pickup types, wood types, anything.. I play all different styles; funk/jazz/slap with friends when we just jam, and harder distorted rock in drop-D with my band (http://www.mp3.com/free_element), so a deep rich tone that can be changed based on the style im playing would be awesome.

thanks in advance to anyone who replies, and if you want to talk to me more in depth about it as opposed to just through threads, email or IM me at flanken@aol.com

peace!
    brian ||||