Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Customizable "New Posts" search

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I know this has been brought up before, and I know that everyone has been busy, but I'd just like to mention again how nice it would be to be able to search for "new posts" within specific parameters (In my case, I'd love to be able to restrict to new posts in DB ;) ). As the site grows in size, one of the challenges is "google syndrome", otherwise known as TMI. If we were able to circumvent this with more specifically defined searches, that would be a great step forward.

Alternately, in the "Advanced Search" engine, if it were possible to bypass keywords and users and simply search specific forums for all posts in the last day, that would be almost as good. Thoughts?

2. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I wouldn't use it, but it's a good idea.

3. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Chris,

You may now simply subscribe to any or all double bass forums (Forum tools menu -> Subscribe to Forum), and then use the new "New Posts in Subscribed Forums" search. ;)

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    wow! that's amazing!

:D

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
  6. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    This might ougt to be in "bug reports", but the new pull-down search menu with the "Subscribed Forums" tab doesn't appear all over the site. When I try to access the search feature in DB, for instance, the menu doesn't appear.

7. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Ahh - ok, should be fixed now ;)

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Paul - the "subscribed search" doesn't seem to be working this morning. :( I hope you are able to keep it working, though, because this is an EXCELLENT feature! :hyper:

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Just wanted to thank paul again for this feature. This is probably the most useful new feature I've ever seen on a BBS. Thanks, Paul! :hyper:

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    This really is a great feature.

Before this, whenever I hit "New Posts", I would get about 24-30 pages of new threads, and I just didn't want to go through them, as most were in Basses or Amps, or something else that just doesn't hold my interest. Now, I've subscribed to the threads I have interest in, and am able to see only 5-7 pages of threads, much easier to sift through.

Thanks Paul, a really great feature.

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm still using and enjoying this feature every single day. Sometimes, though, if I'm bouncing back and forth between email notifications and replies, the system somehow registers me as having "logged out", rendering the "New Posts in Subscribed Forums" useless. I realize that I could fix this myself by simply keeping the first window open and going back to the email browser after that, but I was just curious: How tough would it be to add "Today's Posts in Subscribed Forums"? Just wondering. :)

12. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    It's never going to be enough for you, is it HOLLA BACK DURRL? When will it ever be enough?

13. paul

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Yeah, that's actually easy to do. Link added. I should clean up that box though, it's looking a little cluttered now. Anyway, the link should work :)

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks Paul! :)

Maybe someday...in the meantime, I'm learning a lot about whining to get what I want from Ian (my toddler). :D