Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by madsky, May 2, 2001.

1. madsky

Apr 21, 2001
    Bangkok, Thailand
    I'm new to this kind of customization thingy here. Maybe I should've posted in the General Instruction section but I decided to post here since it said "Setup".

Someone used to say a 500$ bass setup to its best will sound better than a badly setup 3000$ instrument.

Here, I own a Aria Pro II Avante AVB-TN5 5 Stringer. I want to make it look "better" and sound better too. I don't know where to start off. I just tuned it by myself borrowing my friend's chromatic tuner thing. Some people suggest putting stickers which i HATE. I like the natural color of wood. Mine is walnut. :D So can you help me out?

You can state whatever you like from new tuners to new pickups or whatever you like....

2. ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    An easy place to start for the appearance is the hardware. I have always liked the look of gold hardware against a natural wood body. No stickers, though.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

First of all, make sure you like the basic instrument you have. You can't shine s**t. Besides, by the time you have it modded and hot-rodded, you may have spent more than simply going out and buying a bass that meets all your current needs and wants.

If you don't feel comfortable about tweaking the setup youself, you can get a setup by a luthier/tech at a good music store. However, many of us just learned to do it ouselves. www.bassplayer.com has an article called something like "How We Evaluate Basses" which will show you a very precise way to set up a bass. It's on the "Gear" link. www.garywillis.com has a more down-to-earth procedure that doesn't require a box full of tools in the "Ask Wills" archives, March, first paragraph, where it shows a link about "setup manual" under the picture of a bass being constructed by a crane.

As for sound, pickups will make more difference than about any change, (other than yourself ;) ). www.kingbass.com/pickups.html will show you one luthier's opinions of several popular replacement pickups and below that, several preamp replacements are discussed.

Bridges are another common retrofit. www.allparts.com has many.