Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Customizing a Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DrGrosso, Jun 15, 2001.

1. DrGrosso

DrGrosso

Feb 27, 2000
    First of all, sorry about my English. Well, I'm a proud owner of a 1993 Ernie Ball MusicMan Stingray, and I love it. But last week I went to a friend's house and tried a 4 stringed Korean Ibanez and I felt it very very (very!) confortable; the strings were really close to the fingerboard, the frets were really flat...very smooth and fast. Then I thought that maybe i could take the Stingray to a luthier in order to "flatten"(is that correct?) the frets for a smoother playing and feel...The problem is that, some people told me that it's cool to do that, but some others told me that the Stingray will loose it's caracteristic sound and tone...just like killing it. What do you think i should do? oh, by the way, i have a little problem with my 'ray: when i'm slapping or plucking hard, i can hear a glitch or clip (i plug it to a GK 800RB)...do you know how can I solve this?

Thanks