Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Customizing my Boogie cab - have impedance questions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Otay, so I'm lightening my load by eliminating one of my cabs, hoping to run a single Boogie 2x10. Trouble is, I'm using a tube power amp (Strategy 500), which has pair of 8ohm and 4ohm hookups per side. The amp cannot be bridged, but I want the full power of the thing. My 2x10 is rated at 8ohms with a single input, and each EV speaker inside is rated at 16 ohms. What I'd like to do is add another input to the cab, and run each side of my stereo power amp into a single 10" inside the cab.

Is there a way I can do this without replacing the internal speakers with 8ohm versions? Any safe suggestions before go on an epic quest for some old school 8ohm Boogie EVs? Any other thoughts or concerns on why I would or wouldn't want to do such a thing?

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'm just signing on for the read (and I haven't seen you in these parts in a while, so welcome back?), but my gut instinct is that it would be about as practical as my idea to put 6550s in my 6L6 Bassman head - aka, not at all. Have you tried it with just one channel yet?

3. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yes, I could run it with one channel, but that would mean that one channel would be getting all the work load, and the other would be doing nothing at all. For some reason the sound of one channel affects the other, even when the one not in use is on standby. I can actually turn the presence knob on the un-used channel and hear a change in tone.

I only have about 150 watts per side on this thing, and I'd like to have a little bit more headroom than that, even though I've sworn off playing in big, loud, stupid rock bands.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Sorry, I'm of no help, but it's good to see you around here, Benjamin. What made you move to the Strat 500 instead of the 400 that you loved so much? I'm still loving the Strat 500 and Powerhouse Jrs. Did you ever find the RR Jr?

5. Nope. You will need to get new drivers. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't do this once you get some 8 Ohm drivers.

6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    As much as I loved the 400, it was a bit too big, and had limitations in it's flexability of sound. The 500 is one rack space less, sounds close to the same, and has tonal switching options. I never found the RR Jr. but that doesn't matter much considering I've sold off almost all my amps and am now using just the Triaxis, Strat, and 2x10.

I've been playing in a really loud, noisy rock band (NeverAgain) up until my last gig with them Sunday. Now that it is over with I'm elminating and superflous rig stuff - I was too loud, my stuff is too heavy, and nobody in the audience cares that I've got the best rock tone since Paul D'Amour.