Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

customizing my Squier Affinity P-Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by good fella, Apr 6, 2001.

1. good fella

good fella

Apr 3, 2001
    SD
    i have a squier affinity p-bass, and i'm wonderin what i could do to make it sound much better, like better tone and stuff. any ideas?

2. good fella

good fella

Apr 3, 2001
    SD
    2 questions, xavierG:
    How did you add that bridge pickup?????
    What type of paint did you use???

3. good fella

good fella

Apr 3, 2001
    SD
    hey xavier, i was thinking about doing a paint job like the striped one shown here: http://www.edromanguitars.com/custom/artwork.htm ; but i'm not sure, and i know you'd be the one to ask. Do you think that that red one with white and black stripes looks tacky or not? would those stripes look good on blue?

4. 1) trace pup onto bass with pencil

2) drill starter hole for router bit

3) finish routing out shape with a very steady hand (mine wasn't as steady as I wanted)

You can always have a pro do it for you - check for a luthier in your area that works on electrics.

4) drill hole for wires through to the pots (I had to buy a long drill bit - about $4 at Home Depot).

5) Buy a pot (I bought Di Marzio 250K pots).

6) Drill hole on pickguard for new pot (Oh, I had to chisel some wood from under the pickguard to accomodate the new pot.)

7) Solder the wires (ask me for diagram when you're ready)

1) 2 coatings of aluminum spray finish (and I mean the shiny aluminum finish) - I think you can do away with this step, but not sure if it will affect the final "metallic look".

2) Look for Tremclad Hammered Finish paint. Mine came in a small can (not spray). I used Charcoal Grey. Don't brush on - dab on with a sponge to give the paint texture - sand after each coating dries with 600 sandpaper. 3 or 4 repeat applications.

Oh... I gave my fingerboard 10 coats of Polymerized Tung Oil for protection.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    In addition to the above, a cheap and effective upgrade would be a new bridge. You'd be surprised what a difference a decent bridge can make. A Gotoh 201 is a direct drop-in (about $20), just unscrew the old one (after you take off the strings) and screw in the new one. Or you could try the Badass II, which is a little bit more money.

Good luck!

6. This, of course, is all a matter of taste. I'm a little more conservative, a reflection of my age I suppose, but I don't think the striped one is tacky. I wouldn't do mine that way, but hey, that's just me.

7. good fella

good fella

Apr 3, 2001
    SD
    the gotoh 201 I found was $80.

8. good fella

good fella

Apr 3, 2001
    SD
    another question. what tools do i need to defret it????????

9. good fella

good fella

Apr 3, 2001
    SD
    jeez! i think i'll just have a fretted bass for now!

10. good fella

good fella

Apr 3, 2001
    SD
    another question (sorry for all the questions!) so what all did you have to do for that Fender logo on the neck?

11. Logo? What logo? I don't see a logo? :D ;)

12. good fella

good fella

Apr 3, 2001
    SD
    the... the... the FENDER logo on the head of the neck. you said it is a sticker or somethin. what did you do for that?

13. There's a story behind that logo. I teach bass at a local mom/pop music store, and there was this snot-nosed kid (about 17), who would always hang out at the store and would constantly put some of my students (aged 9 -13) down because they had Squiers. This kid's parents obviously had bucks because he owned a brand-spanking-new Zon (Sonus). He couldn't play it, but he sure knew how to bragg. He kept telling 'my' kids that they should con their parents in to getting them, at the very least, a 'genuine' Fender. Well, I had just bought this Affinity P for my daughter, but it was too big for her. I kept it and modified it, and produced the logo on my computer with the help of a scanner and a paint program. I printed it onto clear sticker paper and stuck it on. A few coats of gloss urethane over it to hide the edges, and presto! Well, Mr. Smartypants saw it and asked if he could try it out. He did, and was totally impressed. Then he started with 'my' kids again, telling them to get one of those (my 'Fender'). They had a good laugh and told him a few days later. He came back to the store to ask me if it was true. I told him he was playing a Squier Affinity. Never saw or heard from him again.

14. good fella

good fella

Apr 3, 2001
    SD
    jeez, thats just such a sad storry... =*( i hope your kids are enjoying their fenders. hey.. how did you get rid of the old logo?

15. good fella

good fella

Apr 3, 2001
    SD
    thanks for all or your help, xavier! ;)

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Then you my friend are getting ripped off. At www.warmoth.com Gotoh 201s are $20 chrome, $22 black, $25 gold. You might have found one of the higher end models. Thay can go up pretty high.

17. good fella

good fella

Apr 3, 2001
    SD
    the gotoh 201 looks exactly like the one i have. what's the diff?