1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

customizing stingrays

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass4nds, Aug 13, 2007.

1. bass4nds

bass4nds

Sep 23, 2005
    Hey-
    So I got bored with my stingray... I decided to take off the pickguard, put on some pickup covers... and it looks like a brand new bass (I had to replace the bridge with the one off of my p-bass to do it... i don't really care for the stingray bridge anyway.) has anyone else EVER done anything to a stingray? It seems like it's the 'untouchable' bass... you know?
    I'm just wondering what my next little 'project of boredom' with this bass is gonna be... and see what others have done!

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I know there's a Stingray with 2 jazz pickups, in the jazz positions, without the humbucker, but I don't have a picture of it.

3. you could get really crazy and throw a 3rd jazz bass pickup in there somewhere...any wood routing you do will murder the resale value of your stingray

4. basslyon

basslyon

Jun 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Non fosters drinking alcoholic.
    Tim commerford customised His ray and he turned out alright.

what colour's the pickguard. i wanna change mine to either black, black pearl or tort. so if you don't want it, i'll take it and the bridge off your hands.

5. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of having a Ray? Why wouldn't you just sell it and get a jazz? :confused: I'd never mod my Stingray, it's perfect stock!!! :)

6. The stingray is meant to turn heads, and embodies the essence of "Badass bassist"

It sounds pretty cool to me ;)

7. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Really? I just got it because I liked the tone, I want an explorer to look badass with. :p

8. I bought a Thunderbird to look badass about 12 years ago. It worked. I wish I still had that bass, sometimes because what I hadn't realised -- before I bought it -- is that the T-bird's probably the best damned bass Gibson ever made.

9. stealth51

stealth51

Jan 26, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I got my Stingray in 1978. First thing I did was remove the pick guard. It got in the way when I was slappin' and poppin'. Can't find the damn thing now...:confused:

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Why didn't you like the SR bridge? It's one of the best stock bridges made.

I plan on doing a few things to my Stingrays as well, but I'm not giving out all my ideas yet. Mostly aesthetic stuff...very tasteful and cool!

I do have a hipshot detuner on the way for my SR4...

11. oooh u know what I want?

a gibson RD

kind of like this one. It's a model made by ESP Japan

[​IMG]

I want a five string version of this with MM pickups.

12. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things. Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    can we see pics of yoru mods?

13. JRMK

JRMK

May 28, 2007
    It sounds very interesting, what did he do with his Ray?

14. rummy

rummy

Apr 17, 2006
    Lombard, IL
    I swapped out the pickguard, and I think I'm done. Maybe I'll throw a d-tuner if I see necessary, but that's about it.

15. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Years ago when I used to play a Stingray, and way before the Sterling existed, I had the neck on my old 'Ray made slimmer...more like Jazz dims (1.5" wide). At the time, the guy I had doing it was kinda freaking out I would do such a thing, and then a few years later the Sterling came out.

Also, about 10 years ago, I ended up making my Stingray 5 into a sort-of StingLand (or LakRay?) by adding a J neck pup and changing the bridge pup and wiring for all the coil switching options.

16. basslyon

basslyon

Jun 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Took off the paint and pick guard for a start, i can't remember the details of electronics/hardware but you get a good look at it in the bullet in the head filmclip.

Can we see pics of this crazy thing?

17. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    This started out as a standard 2004 EBMM 'Ray.

I changed the neck for a Status Graphite custom job, put a Hipshot D-Tuner on it, changed the pickup for a Delano MC4HE, added a series/single coil/parallel switch and a single-ply black pickguard :eek: .

139-3932_IMG-1.
    139-3934_IMG-1.
    130-3084_IMG.

So, yes, you could say that it I've "done something to it" :smug: .

However, I got bored with it and now it's all back to standard, awaiting sale on ebay :eek: . Now, it looks like this again:

121-2167_IMG.

Next time, I'll just throw the money straight onto the fire and save all the blisters :D ! Mehh, who am I kidding? It was great fun to build and it looked awesome - I've no regrets :D !

18. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I'm a big believer in "It's your bass, do what you bloody well want to make it work for you", but that one quote is all I need to know to figure out that it wouldn't work for ME.

But hey, go nuts.

19. basslyon

basslyon

Jun 24, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    OH MY GOD I WANT IT'S BABIES!

That is sex! why did you change it back?!

20. Thunderwood

Thunderwood

Mar 20, 2007
    Delafield, WI
    Perhaps because he is selling it. The mods would decrease the value of the bass. I know that sounds silly, but it can be true no matter what kind of mods.