Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sLiPkNoT_mAgGoT, Jul 26, 2005.

1. sLiPkNoT_mAgGoT

Jul 24, 2005
    is it possible to put humbuckers in an off set pick up bass by cutting out a custom slot (if that makes any sense)
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    If you mean offset, like a P bass slot.. then uhh.. you already have one.
  3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Maybe he means diagonal pickups. That question would be more relevant. I don't know the answer to that, but I guess that it will not work very well unless the angle is very small.
  4. sLiPkNoT_mAgGoT

Jul 24, 2005
    in my bass i have p-bass pick-ups and i want ot know is it possible to custom fit humbuckers in
  5. fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    you can drill anything you want out of your bass, as long as youve got your pickguard over it to cover it up afterwards. i had to cut a new slot from scratch for a new pickup i put in. its not hard to do if you know what your doing, plus youve got most of the work done already. my advise is to just drill out what you need-a little at a time- and then put thick foam underneath to make sure the pups will be steady if they are on uneven ground. the hardest part for you will be making sure you drill out your pickguard so it matches up exactly with the dimensions of your pups. whatever you do, just be careful not you hurt yourself or your bass in anyway you dont want to.
  6. P-pickups are humbuckers, turn everying up, and dont play anything, hear much hum? no? humbuckers right there :p

maybe your meaning soapbars like are on my basses:

7. sLiPkNoT_mAgGoT

Jul 24, 2005
    i have the same pick ups as a fender jazz bass and i wanna put something like music man humbuckers can that be done
  8. Welcome to Talkbass!

Ok, so first you had a "P-Bass" and now you have "J-Bass". I'm confused. No matter what, you can put any pickup in any bass, but it is all custom work. Many of us here have done custom work on our basses and there is plenty of support out there for when you're ready to do this.

Before you do this, you need to figure out what kind of bass you actually have, and then choose what pickups you want to fit.
  9. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    To clarify, you have pickups that look (roughly) like these:

And you want to put in one of these:

Possibly to have a pickup setup like this:

or this:

If this is the case, the answer is yes. You just have to be prepared to route out the necessary wood. If you don't have experience doing this, I would suggest getting it professionaly done.

10. We're the ones saying different things ?