Cut everything

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davidoc, Mar 14, 2002.

1. I was playing my bass, and I noticed it sounding exceptionally good.

What I didn't notice is that all the eq sliders on my Carvin PB-200-15 were down all the way.

Any similar experiences?

Weird hu? Does anyone know why it would sound so good with the sliders all down?

(btw, I eventually caught on to the sliders being low)
  2. Hey Davy,

If all your sliders were equally low, then you probably heard your bass as most EQ'd players never hear their bass, in it's real, natural tone.

That's one of the reasons I record flat and EQ later - sometimes the best EQ is no EQ ;)
  3. hi Scorpio! The thing is, I usually don't use eq. It's just that instead of completely flat, now it cuts certain frequency.
  4. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    With all sliders all the way down you will usually get a comb filter effect (I think this is the right term). This means though the EQ setting looks like ________ you will get a fequency response like vvvvvv (I hope you understand what I'm trying to say ;))
    This effect may sound good to you in your situation, to me it sounded weird and very unnatural when I tried it the other day.

5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    When EQ filters are "shelving" does that mean you don't get the comb filter effect?
  6. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    A shelving EQ cuts/boosts all frequencies past the center frequency, opposed to a peak EQ which cuts/boosts a frequency band around the center frequency.

Shelving type is usually only the lowest and the highest EQ-band (often the 'bass' abd 'treble' knob in addition to the graphic EQ) while the EQ-sliders are peak EQ types.

7. cutting all the EQ bands doesn't give a flat response. Like Matthias said, it creates serious comb filtering. That's because each filter interferes with the others when cut that much. Causes all kinds of weird phasing and stuff. Normally this isn't desireable but if it sounds good.......whatever! :D