1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cut monitor cab down to make small amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nsmar4211, Apr 18, 2010.

1. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    After realizing that deadlifting 70lbs is killing backs, I decided against the idea of repairing a pair of 15" Fender monitors I was given. I started tearing one of them apart yesterday, and after I got out everything (insulation was nasty yellow fiber!), I was eyeing the cab...

It's a tiltback type. If I were to take a skill saw and cut it basically in half (cut where the huge tweeter was), and then put the end back on, would it work as a small amp when combined with a head? The 15" speakers are ancient and will probably blow, but since it would require no outlay of cash and I'd only use it for practicing even a few months would be ok. And I have two of these, so two speakers to kill. Also secondly considered using it for a monitor after cutting down, the tiltback is awesome and I could use a monitor..but need a practice amp more.

So basically, I want to cut a monitor box into, well, really 2/3 and plop a speaker into it with some mattress foam insulation. Would it work or would cutting it down kill the sound to the point of "don't bother"? I'm not looking for greatness, just passibility for a practice amp (maybe monitor).

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Monitors are very small cabinets, not designed to reproduce bass well---because they don't generally need to. They're generally way too small to be bass cabs.

It seems like a waste of time, but if you like learning then go for it.

3. Hi.

Another vote for "Don't bother".

You will kill the speakers in no time in the large box and in the new smaller one.

Best to use the old Peaveys for what they were intended to do.

Regards
    Sam

4. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    Rick-these are large monitors, matter of fact we (and the person who gave them to me) used them as a PA system in a pinch. These are the stage touring type monitors...so I know the speakers can put out the bass (course, for how long is a question, although they haven't died yet!). But they are too big and heavy to lug around anymore, which is why I had started stripping them out....

Well, I guess another use for them would be a plant stand :).

Still considering the idea.... maybe I should just cut them down and use them for electronics experiments speakers. The reason for cutting them down is without the tweeters there's an extra 6 inches of space above the speaker, and 6 inches less height means my already cramped space has a bit more room :).

5. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    If you can cut it into 2/3rds the size of the original, and measure how big internally that is, then you could match it up with a proven bass speaker that works in it, then it would probably be worthwhile. You will have to change the crossover if your ohm load changes from going from 2 speakers down to 1 speaker. When all is said and done, it might be easier just to sell that beast and start fresh.