Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cut my fingertips - Superglue?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TheSuzie, Feb 23, 2006.

1. I cut one fingertip on my fretting hand and the index finger on my plucking hand a few days ago. The cuts are not too deep but they do open up and hurt like heck if I play (not fun to type a lot either) - not bleedy but raw and painful.

Someone suggested that I superglue them till they heal. I was wondering if anyone here had ever tried this and if it is worth trying.

Thanks,
    S

2. Skeletomania

Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    On a medical stand point, super glue is toxic and you shouldn't do it. Why dont you lay off your fingers and let it heal.

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    :D

Wrong.

Superglue was actually originally INVENTED as a battlefield wound dressing, they have been using it since the Vietnam War to glue wounds together in the field to keep wounded soldiers from bleeding to death before they could be treated in the surgical units.

I've used it to deal with "split callouses" so many times I've lost count, and I'm still here!

;)

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I recommend it. While some may say its not healthy, it works for me for both bass playing and Pole vault (er, pole vualt causes the skin rips in the first place...)

5. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Legend tells of flea supergluing split fingers all the time. I've never had to, but I know people that do. Even if you're weary, they make a surgical equivalent.

6. yep ive done it... the upright can really get to ya when your playing jazz... and blisters suck.... I also used it on a couple wounds

I had cut my toe real bad running around in at the lake of the ozarks... i wanted to swim, but it felt terrible, so i used some superglue...(obviously it really hurts when you put it on, but thats just cause it is what it is....) it came off in a while underwater, but hey, anything is good you know...

also- superglue has been tamed down over the years... the superglue used in namm was crazy crazy glue... I mean, lets just say it held 10 times harder than the glue we have today... you could gule someone back together.... pretty ingenious if you ask me.. dont know how gluing someone together would help if they wre allready bleeding... you think they would just bleed inside...

anywho...

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I guess they just through it wa sbetter because they werent losing as much blood outward?

Anwyays, you can also use it to just stop bleeding - dry the blood, apply it, then you can scratch it off in like a few minutes and it'll stop bleeding without any scabs or anything, useful if bumps annoy you (er, me). Still hurts a bit tho if theres no protection...(durr)

8. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    The use of "super glue" has been common place in medicine for a long, long time. They don't call it "super glue" and you get billed for a very pricey "surgical adhesive" of some sort.
    It is sterile, works well on shallow clean sided cuts and produces much less scarring than stitches.
    I've used it countless times to patch myself and others up who have minor, superficial cuts.

9. Thanks for all the info. I will try to give them a bit of rest but if they continue to be a problem - especially if they open again, I guess I will try to tack them closed.

Peace,
    S

10. Skeletomania

Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/msuperglue.html

Not here to proof you wrong, but health issues are important. The chemical compound used in every day adhesive is different than medical glue. It might work for paper cuts, but you do not want the glue to enter your blood stream.

11. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I've used superglue also but this stuff is probably what you want.

I've used it and it works o.k.

Click.

Joe.

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I've used that stuff, and it's not really all that great. If it's a cut that isn't someplace that will get "wear & tear" it's ok, but on a fingertip it will just peel off after a few minutes.

I use the regular superglue, never had the first issue with it.

13. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    I've also noticed that it doesn't last as long as superglue but I imagine that if your playing style isn't too agressive it would last longer. Plus it is safer and burns a little less.

You can always get the industrial sized bottle and just reapply it more often.

Joe.