Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cut my neck pocket too deep

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by clef360, Nov 22, 2003.

1. so yeah, i guess i screwed up with my router on my second pass and i cut the neck pocket a little bit too deep (~1mm). What's the best way to shim/remedy this? Thanks.

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I'd probably build up the neck heel if it's only 1mm.

3. actually it's more like 2mm. Any tips on how to do this neck building up thing?

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Did you make the neck?

I'd just take a 2mm thick piece of maple an laminate it to the neck heel, then trim it with a flush trim bit on the router.

5. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Yeah or maybe glue a thick piece of wood that fits in the neck pocket and re-route?..
    r.h.

6. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

If you masked off the neck slot, you could pour in a small amount of "Por-A-Kast" polyurethane resin. It's a 1:1 mix that pours like water, the air bubbles will surface and disappear. It's sandable and machineable to boot!
    1(800) 628-7296:D

7. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    Stick with adding thickness to the heel. Laminating to the bottom of the pocket would be tough to get precise. Using a poured liquid resin would be hard to get a perfectly flat surface - and who knows what the tonal effect might be.

Laminating to the heel should be nearly foolproof.