Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cut the nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by byrdsfan, Sep 14, 2004.

1. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    I have a Musicmaster and bought heavier strings for it on the advice of a TB-er. THey do sound better but the 'A' pops off the nut.
    Ive never tried to modify the nut, in fact most friend does just about everything for me on my guitars AND, i have to confess another forum advised me to not even think about doing this myself.
    But ... the tech is very expensive. I know he has to eat but this seems do-able to me.
    This is a 60s MM but it is no longer stock, new pot, new pickguard and now a new PUP (seymour duncan) so im not too concerned about the resale value in that regard.
    If i were to do this, how is it done?
    Thanks!

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    First, you have to have a set of tools that cost about 10 times what any tech would charge you for a completely new nut.

Second, you have to know that you won't make a mistake that would result in a major repair.

Really, to widen/deepen a slot won't take a tech long, so they won't charge you much. Give a tech a call.

3. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Ok im convinced.
    I do live in New York (L.I.) though. Maybe i can save up for that trip.

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Well, I can only assume there are techs outside of Manhattan that can do this. This should be about a $20 job.

5. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    Im going Fri or Saturday to have my doubleneck dano looked at, I'll bring along the MM. Thanks for the advice.

6. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    There's a terrific repair shop on 110 in Huntington. Kevin Zimmerly (of Zimmerly Basses) recommended them to me.

New York Music and Repairs
    631-385-1039

Tom

7. I've made nuts with ordinary hand tools....best results were completely handmade, using a chunk of bleached cow bone. Sawed with a hacksaw, then hand filed and sanded. A Dremel makes it easy. Only hard part is getting the string spacing even, mark it carefully using the old nut as a guide.

If you just want to deepen the slot, you just need a small file...or the aforementioned Dremel...

The "expensive tools" are nothing more than saws with different blade thicknesses. A good set is expensive, very useful for a tech but not required IMHO.