Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cutting a 215 cab in half.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Jan 31, 2003.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Would it be possible to saw a 2x15 cab into two 1x15 cabs? Is it just to glue and screw a MDF board at the bottom of one and on the top of the other cab?
    What is there to consider except resalevalue?
    [​IMG]

2. FuzzGtp

FuzzGtp

Dec 28, 2002
    illinois
    hmmm.. wish i could tell you :)

i bought this fender cab from a music shop a while back 2x15's for $50 bucks, cuz it was sawed in half, cuz the last guy couldnt figure out how to fit in his car.

anyways, your changing the dynamics of the cab, i would assume it would change the sound, but im not expert :)

3. its safe to say that if you do that, you will have 2 $100 cabs, whereas as a single pice, its worth significantly more.

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well, I believe (not 100% positive) the cab Im talking about already have a chamber for each speaker so it shouldn´t change the sound, right?

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I once saw a magician do it, and you wouldn't believe what his brave assistant did! Oh, wait... nevermind...

I wouldn't do it, personally. You'd change the sound, have to wire a new jack, have to worry about impedance issues, have no opportunity to change your mind or turn back once you started the project, and risk being totally dissatisfied with the result.

My 2¢...

6. Don't do it. It doesn't turn out perfect, and then you're screwed.

Chris

7. You will have a worthless pile of sawdust.

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Why would you want to do that?

If you're curious, build a 1x15 half as big as your 2x15 and see how it sounds. If your 2x15 is truly divided inside, you'll be able to compare the results.

Have fun and don't cut off your fingers!

9. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    This may be over-simplifying, but why don't you just sell it and buy a singe 15" cab?

10. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I just want two 1x15 cabs so it will be easier to transport. But I will probably not do it. Just thinking out loud.

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'd recommend that you buy two Avatar 1x15s...However you're in Sweden so I'm not sure that you could get them...or they would be insanely expensive to ship from Idaho USA.

Good luck!!!!

12. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    i live in idaho:D

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I believe I am going insane.

14. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I believe you already were.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What's your point?

16. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    before you do it, trade me 2x15's cause i dont wanna see that boogie cut in half!

17. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    You can do it. Start with the saw blade just above the "i" in the mesa boogie logo at the top of the cab and just saw straight down. It will sound better. Trust me.

18. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    OK. This started as a serious thread and now has become a joke.:mad:
    I will not cut the cab in half. You guys are right. I was just playing with the thought of having two cabs. Everybody happy?

19. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    sorry jock, I had a bad gig last night and was venting. That was uncalled for. I apologize. I really do like mesa cabs. Really. But I don't think what you want to do will work either.

20. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Accepted.
    I haven´t even recieved the cab yet. I will get it early next week hopfully.
    Maybe its not as bulky as I´ve imagined. And Im still young and healthy.:D