1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cutting a cab in two?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Conan Troutman, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Conan Troutman

Conan Troutman

Oct 13, 2009
    Hello all - thought I might find someone here who can help me out.
    I’m contemplating cutting a Peavey 1820 bass cab in two (one cab for the 18” woofer and one for the two 10s), for ease of transportation and storage (anyone who’s owned one will understand). Is there anyone here who has attempted this, either with this cab or any other? It sounds pretty straightforward to me, but is there anything I should be aware of before attempting this? Do I need to know anything special to pull this off (besides removing the speakers first ; ) )? I know this cab is bi-ampable - will this affect the project in any way if I want to split up the 18 and the two 10s into separate housings? And does it matter how I add the new top and bottom panels to the split-up cabs, or what kind of wood I use?
    Or is it just easier to build two new housings from scratch?
    These might sound like stupid questions but I’d like to go in armed with a little knowledge rather than end up with a pile of speakers and some scrap wood.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Doing it, and doing it to sound good can be two different things.

First, if there is a crossover inside, you'll need one crossover per cabinet, so plan on buying one of those.

Secondly, usually better to build a new cab because it is difficult to slice them apart evenly, and when you do you need to make the new cabs airtight with no buzzes or rattling. Also, if the original cab is ported you have to make new calculations and porting for BOTH cabs.

Given the expense and probability of screwing this project up, its usually much better just to sell the thing and buy two separate cabs to do what you want.

3. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    The 2x10's are in their own "box" already, aren't they? This sounds like a simple project to me. Make the boxes out of the thinner plywood, internally braced and yu could cut the weight in half! Does the cab have a internal crossover?

4. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    sell your cab and buy a seperate 1 18" and a 2 x 10", I think you will be much happier in the long run. IMO

Todd :)

5. I had a buddy do that to an SVT 8X10 cab y-e-a-r-s ago.But,sound-wise,I don't remember.

6. Crimeny! just cut it in half! (use a chaulk line) then seal each half with a sized sheet of 1/4 inch plywood (painted black). be sure to put connectors on the wires coming from the 210 box to connect to the 1x18 box to maintain the connection of the crossover, or just put new terminals on both boxes, if you dont wish to bi amp anymore... The ohm loads are--1x18=4ohms 210=4ohms wired in parallel.
    simple as that. shouldnt make any difference other than ease of portabillity, as this cab is already seperated anyhow. Good luck mac!

7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    If you do, make sure to video record it. :ninja:

8. Quarter inch ply would be nowhere near thick enough. three quarter maybe. I'm solidly in the sell this before you kill its resale value and buy something more of the size you need camp.

Paul

9. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I did it to an 8x10. Sounded the same, still a pain to move.

10. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I once had a classic SVT box. Just the best. At the end of a
    gig, I was telling my tech what a pain it was to move it.
    Without asking me, he took it upon himself to cut it in half.
    Actually more of a pain to move it around after he did it.
    I almost killed the guy.

11. +1 on selling the cab and getting what you want-
    or build two new cabs to fit the speakers from the Peavey cab.

I've never seen or heard of one of these "cut the cab in half" deals working out in terms of durability, sound or cost in the long run. It seems like everybody ends up with a screwed up cabinet that you can't even give away.

But if it's a complete poverty option- no cash, need a portable cab- do what you gotta do to keep playing!

12. These cabs dont have much resale value anyhow, so I figure it couldnt hurt..

13. the scorpion 10s in that thing aren't suited for bass application which is why they are only handling the high frequencies thanks to the crossover. i would sell it and buy a stand alone 2x10 and an 18 if that is what you want. you wouldn't be satisfied running the 2x10 without the 18 if you separated your 1820

14. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I did this years ago with a 2x15 reflex cab with a center port ... ended up with one very useable 1x15 and another pointless wooden box with a JBL D140 in it (I have very bad circular saw skills :D).

I did use the "better half" of that effort for many years though. I just fit a piece of 3/4 ply into the open port bottom, caulked it up pretty well, glued the cut tolex back down, and it sounded fine to me.

music is such an adventure. good luck!

15. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Build a new cab if you have the talent. Don't wreck an ok cab.

BOB

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Why...what did that cab do to you?