Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cutting a pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rick Martin, Nov 28, 2004.

1. What kind of dremel bit would be good for cutting a pickguard to make a new hole for a pup?

2. I'm afraid to mess with pickguards- I'm guessing it would be easy for the dremel tool to melt , rather than cut the plastic. Warmoth or Stew-Mac are both very good sources of info, & there are a number of guys making custom guards- it couldn't hurt to ask them.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  4. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Use a small rotary file and don't cut right on the line the 1st time. Cut the opening a little too small and slowly work your way up to the desired size hole. Set the dremmel for moderate to high rpms.

5. Project completed. Cutting the pickguard material was no problem, cutting it straight and following the line was somewhat of a problem, but that's because I'm an impatient spaz. I drilled a few holes with a regular twist bit and then cut away the material using a small cylinder shaped grinding bit on a Dremel. It cut it perfectly without melting it when set at about 3/4 full speed. My new pup route looks OK until you get up close, then you can see that the opening is a little wavy and a little bigger than it needs to be, but screw it, it's done!

6. Tung

Tung

Jun 26, 2003
    Use a laminate trimmer. Porter Cable is my personal choice. I would make a nice template out of plexi or MDF just don't cut MDF with a router it will eat your bits up.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/porcab/7312.html