1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cutting cab in half

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by avvie, Apr 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Without going into detail about why and other tangential concerns, would I have a really bad result from cutting a Hartke 410 cab in half to make two 210 units? Will they sound like Le Dogge Peou?
    Basic 'why's :
    1- on an island; ordering boxes is out
    2- on an island; nobody wants it... even pawn shops won't take bass equipment, even for free
    3- because I can
    4- I will never carry that heavy beeyoch around again anywhere
    5- thought stacking 210s in a column might be nifty
    6- I have tools and skills but suck at time management

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Thinking about it ... I'll get back to you.

3. FingerDub

FingerDub Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    If you literally sawed off half the cabinet and found a way to seal them back up, I dont think they would sound *that* bad.

You did not say what OHM's the cab is but either way, you are going to have to rewire both of your post cut cabs. Many Hartke cabs are 16 ohm speakers when together they become 4 Ohm for the whole 4x10 cab. If they indeed had 16 ohm speakers and, If you split them and wired them correctly, you would have 2, 8 ohm cabs, which would be good paired.

JRA likes this.
  4. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Even when there are essentially two 210 cabinet sections built into one cab (and some Hartkes may be constructed this way) you'll likely need some extra lumber to "finish off and re-brace" the two new pieces you now have. As a for instance, even if there are two distinct 210 chambers, in certain areas you'd be splitting a shared piece of plywood with X plies on one side and X plies on the other. Alternatively you could allocate whole pieces to one of the boxes and then use "additional lumber" to fill out/finish off the other box.

At the end of the day this could require careful planning akin to splitting a diamond. Additionally, bracing is often added in specific, strategic places to prevent unwanted resonance and cab flex. There is reason to believe that by changing dimensions, some of the bracing designs might no longer be optimal (or even effective) and need some reworking. Also be aware that you will need new cross overs, input jacks, and miscellaneous cab hardware.

As a final thought, in a contest for bad ideas, this one would most certainly place in the top three with a better than 50/50 chance of walking away with first place, IMO of course. Good luck and be sure to wear appropriate safety gear!

JRA likes this.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, flip a coin. Heads, it'll work, tails, it won't. So if it working is worth the risk of being left with nothing usable, go for it.

P-oddz and Snaxster like this.
  6. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    The trick would be to carefully remove the speakers from the box and look at its internal construction. Then using the wood that's there and some additional pieces carefully/strategically cut (this might be different than just spitting the baby down the middle) the cab apart and build two new boxes from the parts and new materials.

You will have to order cab hardware (including input jacks and jack plates) and to simplify things I'd drop the crossover (if you have one) and HF driver/horn completely. Tone-wise I think it could work out fine. If there are no other bass cab options available for you if this doesn't pan out, I wouldn't take the risk personally.

Downunderwonder likes this.
  7. Bet you wouldn't end up with ~2~ usable cabinets, but you might cobble together one from the parts.

Tell ya what, just reach inside and unplug two of the speakers. That will give you a good idea of what you will have sound wise after you ruin the cab.

Snaxster likes this.
  8. To go in a slightly different direction and this being based on my completely unqualified train wreck of thought...

You say you have some tools, I wonder if this might be case where building your own boxes off proven plans off the internet might be a better way to go then use the speaks from the old cab?

9. Chalk line.
    Circular saw.
    Guide board.
    Go to town.

Jeff Scott likes this.
  10. Worst case, you stuff it up and have to build new cabinets. Plywood is cheap.

+1 for ditching the HF elements.

TAZ and wcriley like this.
  11. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    do it, do it, do it , do it
    im guessing the airspce will be a whole whopping 1 cubic feet per driver and cutting the bugger in half hopefully gives you same thing. if sealed.
    only downside is if its ported then you might have to figure something out to get the ports right

12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    We need photos and videos of the project as it unfolds, or comes together, depending on one's viewpoint.

JRA and Al Kraft like this.
  13. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Not really, because the volume inside the cab doesn't know 2 speakers are disabled, but chopping a cab in half and re-sealing it WILL reduce the volume inside the cab.

You seem pretty confident, or rather, bitter that he WILL ruin the cab. You have no indication of the man's skills in woodwork.

Salicete likes this.
  14. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I would take a lot of measurements of the internal construction of the existing cab and build a matching box for two of the speakers to start with.

15. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    I saw an add on Craigslist recently where somebody had done this, cut a 4x10 into two 2x10's.

His reasoning was that since his amp had two speaker jacks on the back, he could use both to get stereo out from his amp. He loved the stereo sound he got from it.

It wasn't a stereo amp.:banghead:

16. Don't know how you pulled "bitter" from that, Sport, but its just my opinion, and I stand by it. ;)

17. Go for it. You can build a couple 210 cabs later if... For what ever reasons.

JRA likes this.
  18. swarfrat

swarfrat

Sep 23, 2014
    Scratch build your two cabinets. If you like results, throw the old cab away.

19. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i expect that knowing how to close, seal and voice a cab is something you need experience to do.

btw, i just checked and guitar center does offer free shipping to hawaii.

JRA likes this.
  20. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Expecting thread on making 4 X 110 cabs to follow shortly.

Das Jugghead, JRA, bolophonic and 2 others like this.