Cutting corners with "power amp in" ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cbsc, May 20, 2007.

1. cbsc

cbsc

Mar 25, 2007
    Hey gang,

I am hoping to get creative and save some cash:

Current bass rig: j bass > sansamp di (into power amp in)
    > fender frontman 25b, a solid state 25 watter with an upgraded eminence b102 100w speaker.

As long as I match the ohms, could I run a 5-15 watt tube amp head ( for electric guitar) into the power amp in of the fender amp and use the amp as a cab? I am in the market for a guitar tube head, but hoping that maybe I could use the amp for both bass and guitar ( not at the same time of course) as a cab.
    I don't have a full picture of what the "power amp in" will or wont let me do. If the power amp in wont work, let me know of other options ( and yes, I am willing to just save the money for a proper cab...)

Thanks, cbsc

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    What you plan to do, as you plan to do it, is dangerous, and will destroy equipment.

If you want to use your combo as a cabinet, unplug the speaker from the amp in the combo, and connect the speaker directly to the new amp. If you connect the speaker output of the new amp to the 'Power Amp In' on your combo, you'll likely wreck both amps.

3. cbsc

cbsc

Mar 25, 2007
    Thanks-- I had no idea--- I'm still learning about all this stuff-- and I appreciate you saving me a costly mistake... sometimes trying to save money is the wrong idea.

Thanks again, cbsc

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021