Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cutting electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassbedlamite, Sep 11, 2001.

1. i have a little (3/4) size electric. it's righty, and i'm lefty. the thing has no tonal range (so the tone knob does nothing). My question is such: if i were to cut the cable and remove that knob control, would it affect the volume knob? see it's like this underneath: Oinlet thing Otone----Ovolume---bass i was wondering if cutting out the tone would short out the volume. KEEP IN MIND that this bass is a piece of crap and would sell for pennies on the market due to it's condition. otherwise i wouldn't attempt something like this. Removing the tone controls would make it easier for a lefty to play too. thanks.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Since it's a cheap bass, it's undoubtedly not active (no preamp or battery). Passive circuits are usually like the one at http://www.seymourduncan.com/coilbass.html

If you have split pickups (precision bass style) it doesn't matter, there's still only two wires coming into the control cavity.

The passive tone controls only bleed off high frequencies by shunting them to ground, so yes, you can remove that control. If it doesn't do anything, it could be that the capacitor is no good (open) anyway. You can probably trace the wires like in that diagram to confirm.