Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cutting flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Rick Rice, Feb 14, 2001.

1. Inspired by this months Bassplayer and the fact that I don't seem to use my jazz bass much anymore. I just purchased a set of D'addario chrome flats for it . Well its been years since I've had a set of flatwounds and could use some advice as to installing them . 1. Should I use string thru the body option or just the bridge? 2. Is it proper to cut flatwounds for length or will it cause them to unravel?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Never having had a string through bass, I don't know, but I would guess going through the body help the bass resonate more. ?

As for the flatwounds, I've never had a problem with them and I always cut for length. I leave enough where I can get at least 3 to 4 good wraps and then I cut, and I've never had one unravel on me. I do use strings with silk ends though, so that may be why.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Rick - IMO, if you paid for string through body, use it by all means. Not just because it's there, but it makes full use of the tone woods selected for the body. I have one bass with string-through-body and neck-through-body construction. The sustain and full bodied sound, particularly when playing at low volume, far surpasses my bolt-ons. I didn't even consider stringing it theother way.

As for cutting your flatwounds, the only thing I did differently when I used them was I put them on first, (wrapped around the tuning pegs and tuned to pitch), before I cut off the unnecesary excess. They unwound a little at the point where I cut but I never had any string slippage, tuning, or other problems. That was some years ago when I was using Fender flats.

4. thanks fella's for the input. My question as to the string thru body (which I've always done with roundwounds)was in relation to the dramatic angle the string takes as it crosses the bridge saddle.My fear was that it may cause a split in the flatwound should it ride directly on a wrap seam. but after closer inspection I can see the construction is much better than the flatwounds I remember from the 70's. Anyway thanks again,I've restrung and am adjusting to the new feel, It's pretty cool actually and will be a nice departure sound from my Stingray which I have'nt been able to put down since I got it 6 months ago

5. Rick,

There are a few string manufacturers that don't recommend stringing your flatwounds through the body if the angle by the bridge saddle is as dramatic as you say it is. I have had many customers say that the flat windings have cracked under these circumstances.

This is especially true with the B, if your bass is a 5 string. Some people have had problems with the E string as well.

If you have already strung your bass this way, it may not even happen at first. It may happen while tuning or even (worse yet) while playing.

Inspect it closely, where it crosses the bridge saddle - if there is a gap in the windings in that area, you more than likely can expect them to crack in that area.