Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cutting friction

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JWC, Feb 4, 2001.

1. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    do any of you, when your hands are really dry, have a hard to moving up and down the neck, and even plucking fast. When my hands swear its like lubrication and reduces friciton. Anything you can put on hands to reduce friction??

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I like possum fat but it tends to glom up the strings.

If you can't control the way your hands swear, you shouldn't use sign language.

See? There you go again. That's not swearing but I know what that sign means. :) :)

Pkr2

3. Possum fat is great but I personally use wombat fat as for swearing can't help with that,that takes some self control but if you are talking about sweating instead of swearing I heard that hemp oil was good and if you are poor like me you can try good old nose grease, works just fine!
    Sorry JWC I hate it when people pick on spelling and puntuation it's like we are at school again who cares because I myself am pretty bad when it comes down to it especially putting things into paragraphs.

[Edited by PUNK&DONUTS on 02-04-2001 at 10:46 PM]

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Try rubbin' your frettin' fingers along the bridge of your nose or the back of your ear.
    I know it sounds weird, but most folks have some excess oil there.

5. works for me, in the rare cases when my hands don't sweat
    i kind of like the Jaco story with the chicken

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I have a ritual of running water over my hands, hot and long as I can stand it, before going onstage, so they would be pretty dry if I didn't put baby oil or lotion with aloe on them afterwards. Just a little, not enough to grease the necks, is all it takes.

Plus, I take multi-vitamins and drink lots of water every day. Good for your skin.

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've been shaving my head daily now for over five years. The noggin is a fairly oily place, and a swipe of my picking hand across it lubes things nicely. It's also natural. I usually wear a hat when I gig, so like notduane, the side of the nose is also frequented...

-robert

8. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
  9. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Tonight is a veritable cornucopia of humorous (and truly frightening) posts, but this takes the cake.

I gotta go change my shorts...

10. I noticed that when I play the best, my hands are greasy. So, if I'm not warmed up, I run my fingers through my hair.

Yea, slick strings help my creativity.

Later.

11. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
  12. funkopitimous,

It's a hard decision between filth and grooving !!!

Later.

13. i geuss your right there man,

be dirty and have fun

14. To PunknDonuts: what actually do ya do wit yer nose, do ya pick it? Blow it? Scratch it? Stick it where it does'nt belong? Ahh, I see, yeah. Soooo.. as I understand it, ya rub ya nose up and down the strings ta get them oily. Hang on a mo'........OK, I tried that, but now I've got these freaking grooves up the side of my nose, and a blister on da end of it from banging it on the frets. Maybe I should get a fretless thingy, but I'll still have the grooves up my nose. What ya recommend?

15. I just shake hands with any local politician.Oh...my bad you said cutting friction...ewwww, my hands are slimy!!!