1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cutting My Strings = Loss In Tone

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jonah Yates, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Jonah Yates

Jonah Yates

Dec 16, 2018
    Would any agree with the title? I don't usually cut my d and G string and they sound fine. I always cut my A and E string and they almost seem to have this inward facing tone?
    With E. Ball Flats I DON'T need to cut the strings, with the right guage. they sound even across strings, very much there in terms of tone.
    I plan on investing in a string cutter that has more of a round-cut edge as to not make the core unstable.
    Thoughts?

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Technically your strings were already cut at the factory..so...it's not a thing.

3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

if you don't have to cut your strings = don't! 'excessive' windings can be bothersome on some instruments/tuners, but if you cut your strings just for a 'certain look' = you may get the look you want while causing other issues...like the one in your OP.

Jonah Yates likes this.
  4. Could it be that what you're using to cut them is messing with the windings and causing them to sound dead? Maybe try with the same strings you experience this with doing what's recommended for round core strings? Bend the string at a 90° angle where you'd be cutting it, and then cut it just after the bend.

5. Jonah Yates

Jonah Yates

Dec 16, 2018
    Possibly, that's what I figured could be the issue. I did.

6. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    I've heard more than a few would-be musicians that could benefit from having their strings cut, somewhere around the 12th fret.:)

7. Jonah Yates

Jonah Yates

Dec 16, 2018
    Auditions mostly..

8. Sorry, not totally understanding. You did try the 90˚ bend?

9. Jonah Yates

Jonah Yates

Dec 16, 2018
    I did.

10. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Crimp the string before cutting - always. Cutting a string straight is asking for trouble.

Jonah Yates likes this.
  11. G-Z

G-Z My other account is a Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
    I would think that, once a string has passed over the nut and made several tight wraps around the post, the running end of the string from that point is effectively isolated and could have little bearing on the tone regardless of crimps/cuts/length.

Maybe the issue could be traced to the string seating at the particular saddles/nut or some element in between, rather than the cutting of loose ends?

12. tubedude

tubedude Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Ga
    Or twisting of the string. Are you using flats?

el_Bajo_Verde and G-Z like this.
  13. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Cutting your strings anywhere between the nut and the bridge will cause catastrophic loss of tone.

14. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    What is inward facing tone?

lz4005, rashrader, groooooove and 2 others like this.
  15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Beat me to it. I was wondering too. :)

16. Jonah Yates

Jonah Yates

Dec 16, 2018
    It's just my description of the sound, giving a visualization.

G-Z and 40Hz like this.
  17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

It’s definitely evocative. I kinda like it even if I’m not 100% sure how to interpret it. But I definitely like the feeling I get thinking about an “inward facing tone.” It’s like I almost understand but can’t quite pin it down.

(Obviously I’m a word buff who appreciates an original turn of phrase.) :):thumbsup:

Uncle Hanky and G-Z like this.
  18. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Yes, I would agree. I stopped cutting strings years ago, I figure they are designed the way they are designed for a reason. So I leave em as-is.

19. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i have no dog in this race, i cut my excess string - but, they were designed for a reason... to fit the largest percentage of basses on the market without wasting extra material.

I would like to hear audio of what the OP describes.

InhumanResource likes this.