1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cutting speaker holes?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eno50, May 1, 2009.

1. eno50

eno50

Jan 31, 2009
    North of Memphis
    Ok guys I'am going to have a try in building a speaker cab,I have a 15"er laying around and I need to bulid a box for it.
    I'am gathering tools for the job and my question is how
    do I cut a speaker hole ,do I need a jig of some sort? ,I have a jig saw and a router that I can borrow from a friend,but I need a way to cut a cricle nice and neat,I guess i could try to cut it free hand and sand the edges,but I have seen jigs for small holes ,but nothing for 14 to 15"ers.
    Any Advise?
    Thanks Eno

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Use a router on a plate. Then, you can use a screw or nail to affix one end of the plate to the center of the hole. Plunge the router and cut through taking a few passes.
    The exact method varies. I would cut almost all the way through, or leave a couple spots so that the center is still suported. Then you can finish it off carefully.
    Now, most speakers mount on top of the hole, so you can probably even just cut it with a sabre saw and get close enough - the lip of the speaker will cover minor imperfections in your cut.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    You can use a jig saw on a marker hole, or a router. A router can be set up on a guide that rotates around a center drill hole point at the precise radius. I use a Dremel router attachment for that, but it's their most powerful version - yet if I was doing this very often I'd use a more powerful router.

4. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
  5. might pay to make the hole on a piece of scrap 1/4 ply or mdf and use it as a guide for the router......mistakes here cost nothing and the jig can be re used

6. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    How many ways are there that 12 woodworkers can cut a hole in a piece of wood? 12^3?

7. boxerrider

boxerrider

Mar 16, 2009
  8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    +1
    Make a template.

Use the router circle cutter jig to cut the circle in the first place on the template.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Get a RotoZip with the circle cutter attatchment. Easy, and perfect circles.

10. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I just used a compass with an extension arm and a small
    sabre saw.

You can also use the woofer as a basic template, locate the
    center using basic 10th grade geometry and then redraw a
    smaller circle insde.

11. There are better ways than freehand but it can be done that way with practice. Don't be a chicken!

12. Bassman822

Bassman822

Sep 1, 2007
    Bessemer, AL
    Make the cutout 14.0" if youre mounting the speaker from the front. 13.5" if rear mounting

13. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
  14. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Draw the circle - cut it with a sabre saw. The speaker rim sits outside the hole anyway. Take your time and make a nice cut - no problem.

15. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
  16. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Manual methods are just fine. I have cut hundreds of holes with sabre saws. However there is a difference between a 215 and an 810. I'd go insane cutting an 810 with a sabre saw.

Absolutely the Jasper thing is way cool, I'm getting one. BOB

17. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    OH yeah I have two routers and the bit is not in the center. So if you turn the router while using it the cut depth changes. This is really stupid. If you guys try this measure your router.

I believe the screw on router guide would alleviate this issue. BOB

18. eno50

eno50

Jan 31, 2009
    North of Memphis
    Wow I like that Jasper Jig,I may order one of those.....
    Eno

19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    I use something like this

20. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Saber saw works fine for me. I get the hole diameter from the driver maker's data sheet, and draw it with a compass. The speaker hides the hole.