Cutting strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by greekbassist, Jan 26, 2006.

1. greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006
    Hi Everyone,

I had just got done putting a new set of 045 - 100 on my short scale bass, and last night I broke the "E" string :meh:

I don't want to have to buy a whole new pack so I was wondering if it is Okay to get regular length "E" string and cut it..

I would be getting roundwounds...

Thanks Greekbassist!
  2. Should be fine to put a longer scale string on. The main problem you may run into is if you have to cut off so much of the string as to make it hard or impossible to get on the tuner due to cutting off all the tapered part of the string. The other possible problem would be if the string wrappings became loose for some reason. The only real loss would be the string though, it shouldn't damage your bass.
  3. greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006
    Thanks badgrandad!!

I will try to cut the E string and see what happens..
  4. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    Bend the string before you cut. Cut it slight above your bend. This may help keep it from unraveling.

5. +1

Another tip:
    I found that when you change a string, place the string in the bridge and lay the string in the nut. line up your tuning peg and place the string in it. measure the string 4" above your tuning peg. Make a 90 degree bend there. measure the depth of the tuning peg hole and add that measurement after the bend and cut the rest of the extra string. This will leave you with 3 wrap arounds on the peg.