1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

cutting the neck out of an NT, route for bolt on

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by sonic assassin, Oct 7, 2009.

1. is this possible/practical? ive got a peavey grind with a snapped off headstock that cannot be fixed. ive had very good people look at it (one who MAY or MAY not be EVH's guitar tech), and it has been pronounced dead. my teach scooped all the hardware into a coffee can like it was an urn and handed it back VERY disappointed.

6 string.. tension.. not enough surface area to glue it without sealing the truss rods. because i know a bunch of you are going to ask. it just cant be done.

so im thinking.. how hard would it be to just cut the neck out of it (shame on a beautiful NT, but what choice do i have?) and route for a bolt on neck. i hate staring at a bass that is just dead. i prefer bolt on necks anyway, and even though it'll kill the look, it will make the bass playable. id prefer a maple FB anyway.

so is it possible? price efficient? what do you think. i can provide pictures if needed, but its just carnage.

2. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    To be dead honest its like a 450$ bass right? i think buying a neck would be around 200$ and then all the work its not worth it . I bet you can get one used for like 300$ or around there,and sell some of the parts.

3. if your building it all yourself, would be practical. Chop it off, build your neck, use that as your route pattern, done.

4. everything would be aftermarket and done by someone else.

just hard looking at a perfectly good body that is worthless now