cutting the tone knobs on p-bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by slick519, Jul 9, 2002.

1. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    I was just thinkin, im not sure how great it would sound, but, what if i got a pbass with quarter pounders and then cut the tone knobs. With the already high output pickups, would the added increased output make the tone sound really crappy? I know that geetar players do this to there guitars for higher output, but i really dont know what would happen on a bass (if anything)

well, thanks,
  2. well.. what most ppl don't know..

if you change your pickups, you also have to change the capacitor and/or the pots. specially if the pickup is hotter than the old one.

increasing the value of the capacitor gives you more mellow sounds ( cuts the highs more )

decreasing the value of the capacitor gives you less cut.

in fact.. you can make a passive tone-controll very detailed.. you can determine the frequency where the cutting starts :)
  3. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    With the tone pot open all the way, the capacitor doesn't do anything. It is like having no tone control at all. Or at least that's what I think with my rusty knowledge of electricity.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Do you mean - bypass the tone controls and run the pups straight to the output???

Assuming that is the case, Rick Turner used to do that mod on some basses where the bassists felt the pots/preamp just gave them a variety of mediocre tones.

He said it's a hit or miss deal - going straight to the output, bypassing the pots, with the pups wired in series MAY be tone-heaven.......or you may just end up with a one-trick pony where the "trick" isn't all that good.

From what he said, I guess the important thing is to have someone accessible to you who could let you hear the bass both ways. If there was a hard and fast rule about which way sounds better, the manufacturers would certainly be offering their instruments that way.

My preference would be to have a control that completely bypasses the pots, but, would also let me engage them, too.

Studio engineers often love a bassist who doesn't rely on the instrument's controls. All the tone control is done at the board.
  5. Your description exactly matches the Mark Hoppus bass...
  6. Noah-Fecks

Sep 13, 2000
    Scotia, NY
    word granny, word. That bass setup would definately fit the stylings of everyone's favorite ."one trick pony" bassist, Mark Hoppus.
  7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I have a set of DiMarzio Split Ps in my MIM Fender P. I eliminated the tone control in it and after about a week of trying to convince myself that that's the tone I wanted, I bought a new pot and wired it back in.

Here's the thread that inspired me to eliminate it in the first place.