1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"cutting through" Ashdown mag300 evo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nowhereboy, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Nowhereboy

Nowhereboy

Mar 3, 2013
    Hey folks, as some of you know I recently bought an ashdown mag 300 stack. Its my first proper bass amp and Im a guitarist so its pretty hard to give an opinion on it to be honest, obviously ive not paid any attention to bass amps before so I have nothing to compare it too.

Anyway, with that said I like it, it looks stunning and sounds smooth, it doesn't leave me in awe at awsome tone or anything but it will certainly do the job.

I could do with a lesson on bass tone, how to cut through, what sort of sound I should be going for in my band etc. Yesterday I jammed with the lads and noticed that the nice thick tone I like when playing alone sounds like **** alongside these

[​IMG]

Another pic of my rig....

[​IMG]

Any advice would be appreciated, Im finding it pretty hard to find much info on this amp online. If anyone has this amp and knows some nice settings that would be sweet!

Heres some demos of my band to give you an idea what sort of tone i might need

2. Nice demos. Interesting blend of styles. The bass pops out of the mix nicely.

Play with fingers for starters. You want to be getting a good fleshy grip closer to the bridge than the neck.

I don't know the knobs or where "true flat" is on your amp but boost your upper mids. Possibly cut the lowest lows if you're playing loud.

I hope you find something approaching your aweome tone without having to buy another amp. There is way more tone in the fingers than most beginners realise.

3. Nowhereboy

Nowhereboy

Mar 3, 2013
    Cheers dude, Im working on learning to play with my fingers but I turn into a complete noob, obviously Im going to put the time in to learn but up untill then theirs no way I could gig without a pick! Ohhh the shame

4. sounds like a bit of a boost around 250 and 900 - 1000 hz. I'd roll off a little around 60hz...

5. Left right left right left right, you'll get it in a few weeks of solid practice if you put down the pick.

I never heard anything like that tone coming from a pick so you're under the gun here.

6. Nowhereboy

Nowhereboy

Mar 3, 2013
    I'm confident that every thread ive ever posted here ends up going down the line of "learn to play with your fingers"

Guess you guys leave me with no choice eh? haha.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, fingers all the way. And +1 to CUT the lows, BOOST the mids idea.

8. Don't be too worried about the finger people. You may not get 'that exact' tone with a pick but you can CERTAINLY get one that works fine.
    The thick tone you like solo is probably the product of 'scooping', or turning down, mids. Don't do that. Flatten your EQ and turn off any scoopy sounding buttons. Do bump the low mids up a bit, as you lose some playing with a pick. Maybe roll back the treble some on your axe to calm the sound a bit.

9. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    Don't let them get to you.

There are a lot of bass "purists" that feel you should only ever use your fingers. B.S. Just like with a guitar you can pick the note, slide to the note, hammer-ons and pull-offs, or even dare I say tap the notes.

You can use whatever you like. They both offer a different playing experience and different tonalities just like on a guitar. One is not better than the other, they are merely different ways of doing the same thing. If you prefer playing with a pck but want more of a finger sound try out those big ol' thick felt picks.

I've been playing guitar since I was 12 and bass since 14. I'm now 40 and although I generally play guitar with a pick and bass with fingers, I don't (and won't) limit myself by going exclusively one way or the other. Being comfortable playing with your fingers can save your butt if you usually play with a pick and drop it during a gig though.

Just go with what works for you and experiment and keep :bassist:

Oh and just like guitar, the sound that sounds amazing in your bedroom, usually doesn't when in the context of a band. You need to work your EQ settings so that whatever instrument you're playing at the time so that it makes the BAND sound good.

Just keep :bassist: no matter how you do it.