Cutting through: EA iamp 500 or Eden WT-550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cptnhook, Aug 23, 2005.

1. EA and Eden both have outstanding reputations here at TB, and I'm sure that choosing between the two is a luxury. However, a choice ultimately must be made! So...

I'm looking to use the amp with an Epifani 210UL (4 ohms) or a Goliath 410 (4 ohms). Possibly adding a 112 or 115 in the future.

Ideally, my rig would produce a tone that cuts through but not in an overly "nasal" manner. More of a smooth, solid, tight tone - something that sounds less "dispersed" and more focused. I'm competing with a room that doesn't add the most flattering warmth and reverb. :meh:

From what I've read here, EA makes great hifi "transparent" products, but I'm not sure if that would translate into an amp that cuts through in a dense mix. On the other hand, the Eden may rely on a somewhat nasally/gritty tone to cut through (which is not my preference). I'm sure that I could "dial-in" a useable tone with either, but ideally the amp wouldn't have to rely on drastic EQing and/or hours of fiddling to cut it.

I'll be playing without PA support, and in a moderate-volume 5 piece band, pop/rock. Room seats 100-150.

There are other related threads I'm sure, but I'm starting this one as the focus is on the "cutting through" characteristics of these amps.

Anyone have any real world experiences? Thanks
  2. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    I wouldn't describe either as these amps as what you're looking for. I suggest you check out a GK1001RB-II. More power, more cut, less money.
  3. I had an Epi210UL and GoliathIII (8ohm) and at that time owned an iAmp800 and an Eden400+ (which I think is the same front end as the 550 with a little less power). The iAmp is obviously a great amp, but with those two speaker models in particular, I felt the Eden spoke much better... punchier, warmer, a little less open in the low end (which I actually prefer), and a little less sterile sounding in the treble (especially with that very aggressive Goliath Tweeter.

However... this is pure personal taste (there's another TBer who just loves the iAmp/Epi combo)... both amps are quality pieces of gear and are great... I just found the iAmp to sound better (warmer, etc.) with the EA cabs versus the two cabs you mentioned, which to my ear have much more treble definition (for better or worse) than the EA cabs.
  4. I also prefer another amp (the TF550) to both of those mentioned... especially with the Epifani line of cabs. However, the Eden is also an awesome head and provides a lot of clean punch IMO.
  5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Tough call, really. I owned an Eden WT400 (my favorite of the Edens I used to own which included the popular 800). I think the preamp in the WT400 was Eden's finest accomplishment--versatile EQ, excellent native tone, etc. I currently own an EA 500 iAMP. I've used the EA with Epi 12, 212 and 310 cabs, all older, heavier models, none UL. Given the EA EQ range, it always worked great for me. Personally (strictly my own unique, if somewhat idiosyncratic :D taste), I prefer the EA to the Eden 400 I owned. Assuming some difference in the Eden you're considering, I'm afraid I can only rather unhelpfully offer the suggestion that you try them both, knowing full well that's often impossible.

Good luck!
  6. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Hey guys-

I just did my first gig with my Eden 550 and 112UL. I also have the 110UL but didn't need it for this gig. The Eden sounds great with the Epi cabs. The low end is very 3-dimensional...punchy, deep and supportive. It also speaks quite well in the mids and highs. The sound is clear but probably fatter/"tubier" than the IAmp. Either one would probably serve you well.
  7. I was also looking at TF, but the deal breaker was that running it at 2 ohms doesn't seem advisable.

If I may ask, were your experiences with the Eden and EA with a live band, or in more of a "soundroom" situation? Also, how was the slap tone with those amps? Thanks again
  8. I didn't realize you were going to combine those two cabs... yes, the TF is not recommended for two ohms. All my comments on this site (unless otherwise stated) are based on multiple gigging situations with a piece of gear. I find that 'sound room' comparisons can result in a very different (and less useful) comparison, since what sounds good in a quiet, solo situation many times sucks big time on a gig!

PS Slap tone on both heads was good... again... I thought the Eden had a little more 'character' on the treble side with those particular cabs.... had a little more 'balls' to the sizzle versus theextreme hi fi clean of the iAmp
  9. Agreed! For example, I find that the tone I use to sit well in the mix (given room and arrangement considerations) sometimes doesn't sound very pleasant on its own.

Actually, I wasn't looking to use the Epi and Goliath together, but was possibly going to get a 112UL or 115UL to compliment the 210UL.

Did the EA and Eden have sufficient headroom in your experience (to compete with a moderate-volume gig)?

edit: whoops, you had the 400+, never mind about the 550.
  10. I was using the EA iAmp800 at the time.. and it had TONS of headroom. I would think the Eden550 would have plenty also... not sure about the iAmp500.... but I assume the volume would be similar to the Eden. On a side note, I find the TF550 to be a very loud head for its 550 watts... there's something about the voicing of that amp that really allows it to punch through a busy mix.... and it's one of those pieces of gear that doesn't totally blow you away in a 'soundroom' type listening situation.

OK... back to your situation.... if I was choosing between those two heads and I was concerned about headroom... the Eden800(b) will run down to 2ohms and will knock walls down... as will the iAmp800... they are not that much bigger, and I don't think hugely more expensive. Just a thought!
  11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I have an iAmp 500, and I *had* an Eden WT-400 ... that probably tells you what I'd say right there. I liked the Eden, but to me the iAmp has better definition on the low end, and it doesn't have that Eden "zing" when you turn up the treble a little (which some poeple like but which got on my nerves a tad).
  12. i have an eden wt400... i describe it as a hifi sound with tube warmth. the EA stuff is very transparent... i like the warmth the eden gives, but if you're looking for that sterile colorless sound, go with the EA.

*also note that i use my wt400 with 2 ampeg 4x10 cabs. i played in a touring band for several years and played 10,000+ outdoor shows to 2000+ indoor shows with this rig. headroom was never an issue with the 400 watt eden.