1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cutting through the mix with Distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fullmetal, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Fullmetal

Fullmetal

Oct 18, 2008
    United kingdom
    Ok, so this has been bugging me for a while.

I currently use a TurboRAT for grindy, crunchy distortion tones. However, this causes some low end loss, and I am sucked out of the mix. I've tried boosting volume and low end, but nothing. I just can't get heard with the lower notes, higher octave notes aren't much of a problem as I can be heard.

I would assume a blender may help to keep my low end, and help me be heard. Would this be right? And if so, can someone suggest a fairly cheap but effective blender? I'm leaning towards a Barge Concepts VB-jr.

Many thanks.

2. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    The blender would help, or get a better distortion to handle the low end.

3. thugler

thugler

Mar 31, 2003
    england
    The barge will sort it out beautifully. I used to have the same sort of problem, but I was so in love with the turbo rat tone I didn't want to swap it for a different distortion since I've never heard one with as satisfying a crunch as the turbo rat. I got a barge blend and find it beefs up/restores any lost bass all of my fuzz/distortion pedals very nicely.

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    There's a milkshake blender for $50 shipped on the classifieds right now.
    LS-2 will work on a small budget.
    I have and love my Wounded Paw Blender.

This will help you tone suckness.

5. As well as a blender there is always the Jc/Failure solution of whacking an eq in there too, works pretty nicely with a turbo rat

6. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Man I bet if you just didn't use distortion, and cranked your mids, you punch right through.

7. adamrobertt

adamrobertt Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Kingston, New York
    Or you could crank your mids and leave the distortion pedal on. :confused:

Try rolling back a little bit on the drive setting, too. Too much fuzz will drown you out. It usually sounds better with less anyway.

8. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you're having trouble with low-end losses, I would recommend the boss ls-2 line selector pedal. this pedal can help you blend your sound.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Not using distortion would sort of take away the point of using distortion :D

10. I'd recommend the Tech 21 XXL Bass edition. IMO a very similar vibe to the turbo rat but more low end and even more mids. It fits in a band perfectly. I own both right now and the XXL is what's on my board. If you're dead set on the rat however I'd say blender.