Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cutting through the mix

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gabbass, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Gabbass

Gabbass

Aug 15, 2004
    Italy
    Hi,
    I have a question to do about the "cut through the mix" problem...
    From your experiences...which is the best bass that always cuts through the mix?
    ...the most focused bass...
    which brand? which woods? which pickups and electronics?

thanks...

Your Italian friend....

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Cutting through the mix, you'll need a slightly aggressive tone with mids. Playing fingerstyle nearer the bridge and with balance towards the bridge p-up should do the trick with a bit mid boost.
    As for basses, I like my Warwick Corvette. it can cut through nicely if I want it to.

3. Gabbass

Gabbass

Aug 15, 2004
    Italy
    yes, I know....I understand what you want to say...
    using my mid knob I can change my cut in the mix...I tried it using my wireless...I go out of the stage and hear what it is out of equipment of the clubs.
    If I try to cut or boost the mid control I can hear that the cut through the mix changes very much...

but I'd like to know, in your opinion, which is the bass that do this thing better...

4. Ernie Ball Stingray 5!!!! :D

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    That, too.
    Warwick Thumbs can cut through really well, so can Corvettes.

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Almost any bass can, with the right amp/preamp and like others have said, with the mids boosted (specifically around 100Hz).

There just is no "one" bass that cuts through better than any other.

7. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Basses that I think cut through amazingly...

#1 - Warwick Thumb Bolt-On (more so than any other bass, including other Warwicks I've had)
    #2 - Wal (Mach I is only available w/ 21 frets, which is the only reason I prefer the Mach II)
    #3 - MusicMan Stingray

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Any Fender :)

9. Any bass that has a pickup near the bridge will cut through reasonably well.

10. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    +1 (specifically any Jazz configuration!)
    As other posters mentioned, the Warwicks cut through nicely because they use active Jazz style pick ups. There is something majical about the Fender - designed Jazz pick up's. IMO it is the ultimate pick up after, of course, the G&L MFD. Boosting the mids and treble will usually make you more noticable in the mix. Especially the rock mix. Good luck....

11. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    100 hz is mids? Very low mids IMO.

I agree w/ the Stingray votes, but I think any active bass can be eqed to cut well.

12. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    First, turn the tone knob on your P-Bass all the way down to get rid of that twangy J-Bass sound. Then turn the mid knob on your SVT all the way to the right. Set the bass knob and the treble knob straight up. Turn the master volume up all the way and then adjust the gain knob as high as you can stand it. That used to work for me.

13. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yeah, low mids. But if you want it to cut through the mix, you don't want to boost the frequencies the guitars play in...not that it hurts any. :)

14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I agree with all the posters here so far, including an MTD with wenge necks. cut city..

15. Eldermike

Eldermike

Jul 27, 2004
    NC
    cutting through is as much about timing as it is about tone. It can also be about breaking the 100 percent rule. I have played in bands that were so sloppy that nothing would make it out of the noise, and any note only adds more noise. Another way to cut through the mix is band pratices that focus on the 100 percent rule. If you have a drummer playing 100 percent of the music there is nothing left to add. I get frustrated trying to make eq settings that are not bass but more like baratone guitar, just so I can hear myself. If you can't cut through then there is more than 100 percent of the music already taken by the other players.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Musicman stingrays, sterlings, definitely. I dont have experience with Bongos, but its been said they cut beautifully as well.

17. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    in the bands that I've played with....it's been the guitar players that need to worry about cutting thru....cause I am the mix :D

18. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The trick is to cut thru the mix and retain bottom. I've owned Warwicks, Alembics, Kubickis, Pedullas. All had excellent stand alone tone, but none of them cut thru (retained deffinition and still had bottom) the way my Sadowsky does. I'm sure there are other basses out there that can do it too, but cutting thru without bottom is not enough, after all it is a bass.

19. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    P-Bass, tone knob down all the way, SVT head up all the way, two year old flatwound strings, two 2x15 Ampeg cabs, there's your bottom. Cuts through nicely as well as vibrating the guitar players guts. He learned not to eat at least two hours before playing or he might lose his dinner on stage.

20. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    My Dean Edge 4 w/ EMG HZ pups and Fender Super Bass 7250M strings usually cuts through a mix like a knife. This holds for both a rock band situation and in a symphonic band situation. Very nice bass for the money...

/MrBaloo