1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

cutting through the mix

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattpnolan, Apr 20, 2006.

1. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Right now I play a Bass Company Jazz. I also have a MIM Fender Jazz with Barts. I play in a band in which we play very noisy stuff, and the guitarist uses crazy distortions and pedals. My favorite tone (that I've heard) is a flat jazz tone, but I have a hard time cutting through the mix with it. What would you recommend? I have been wanting to try a Stingray lately, and I haven't liked the "P" sound in the past, but I'm thinking of trying that again. Also, I play with my fingers (no picks). Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. a very rough mix of my bands stuff is on our myspace page, linked to in my signature. That will give you some idea. A better recording will be up in the next couple weeks.

2. Slapped

Slapped

Jan 23, 2006
    Queens, New York
    Rasie your mids and cut the bass a bit.

3. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    How is the EQ set on your amp? There's a recent thread in the amps section about a similar topic, and the consensus seems to be that the "Smiley face" EQ (boosted lows and highs, scooped mids) , might sound good solo, but gets lost in most group playing situations. Before you spend any money, spend some time knob twiddling. You might find the answer within the gear you already own.
    FWIW: I've recently redone my amp EQ to a (if I had a graphic EQ)crooked frown kind of shape: slight boost around 400-600 Hz, and a very slight boost at around 80Hz (or whatever the 'Bass' knob is set to on a Yorkville XS800), everything else is flat. With a little compression, I've been able to turn the Master on my amp down, and I can still hear and be heard just fine.

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    The answer to your problems

[​IMG]

...possibly. I just bought one myself. I can't say enough about it, I can make my bass sound exactly how I want it. What I've found has worked pretty well is to boost the bass on the amp a little bit and give a little cut to the lowest band on the pedal (50 Hz) and boost the low mids- the smug face EQ, as opposed to the smiley face. That way you still get some booty but it isn't just a low rumble. The mids take a fair bit of messing around with, it can sound pretty gross if you get carried away.

5. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    thanks so much guys. I'm playing through an ME-50B right now, so I'll have to fiddle around with the EQ on my Groove Bass Kustom 1200 as well as the settings on the ME-50B and my active Bass Company Jazz...Oh boy :smug:

6. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    i like to turn up my treble and really dig in