Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cutting through

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassman60, Jul 24, 2001.

1. bassman60

bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    what is it that allows so many speed metal bassists to cut through the mix so well? how do they get that ratty tone? Is it playing with a pick? Is it distortion, or a combination of amp settings and stuff? what is it?

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    it's a combination of different things. To cut through you could try to boost the low mid on your amp, you can also try to pick closer to the bridge, or you can use your bridge pick up only. There is different thing you can do. Maybe other people have more idea.

3. TRWOTEB

TRWOTEB

Jul 20, 2001
    a nice EQ setup for metal is to boost lows, highs and high mids... if you boost the mids or the low mids, you get that awful "punk tone"..... anyways, if you like that tone, use it.. but, i like better a darker sound

add some disto to a more consistent sound ( that will cut the edges, but it'll add more flesh to the sound)

use hard strings, that helps a lot to get that metallic sound

use a pick, play near by the bridge, and play hard.... no with all your strenght, i mean play making it sounding hard
    the way i do it is picking against the body of the bass... generally, people use the pick in an up/down motion..... when they go down, they do it in direction to the floor ( i go down against my body) ...and, when they go up, i go "out" ( out of my body)