Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cutting tone knob's for cutting through

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, Jul 5, 2005.

1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I often play with my tone cut about 3/4 off on my basses. Technically why does this cut through better for rock then with the tone knob on full?

2. When you say 3/4 off...i'm assuming that you have a passive tone knob and that the treble is rolled off. Similarly, when you say "full on", I'm assuming no treble roll-off. Now, with these assumptions made, I'd say that this can be attributed simply to where sonically your filling the gaps in your band's sound. The "space" your filling is probably in the bottom end, and that's a good thing, because YOU'RE the bass.

3. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    With the tone knob turned up all the way you will get a thinner, twangier, guitar or banjo sound. Like a Jazz bass. With the tone knob turned off you will get a full, powerful, punchy yet warm, P-bass sound that we all love so much. Cuts through better than the banjo sound because you're not in the same frequency range as the guitars. :D :D I hope that two smiley faces is enough. Last time, some of the Jazz bass guys really went berserk. :eyebrow:

4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    The bare minimum is THREE smiley faces. JERK! :) :) :)

Besides, to my ears, j basses have more low end than precisions. Precisions are more of a low-mid warmth. IMO, of course.

5. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks guys :):):)

So when you have the tone knob on full, shouldnt you still have all the other mid/low frequency still there to cut through and then just not be able to hear the treble sound. Or with the treble on full boosting the overall output to lean towards the treble side and cutting the mids and lows?