1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

CV Jazz bass vs. MIM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ccrnnr9, Sep 8, 2008.

1. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9

Sep 1, 2008
    I am a convert from the world of guitar playing and I currently am borrowing a friend's squier jazz/p combo bass. I recently purchased a VM p-bass but returned it deciding I really want the jazz neck and tone quality. That being said, my budget is $300. I have narrowed my choices down to either a used MIM jazz bass or a classic vibe 70's jazz bass. I don't mind buying used and I have seen about 90% of the MIM standards on ebay go for less than 300.

The question is simple: which is the best bass? I am looking for good tone and quality of construction. The name on the headstock makes no difference to me.

Also, please don't suggest the sx basses. I prefer to stick with fender/squier.
    ~Nick

2. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    squier IMO
    better deal for the price, and CVs come with nice bridges, also check VMs they come with nice pups,
    MIMs are kind of overpriced IMO

3. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9

Sep 1, 2008
    Ya I looked at the VM series 70's jazz as well but the black block inlays really turn me off. They are so distracting to the eye. The other nasty thing is that that bass is so beautiful in body and then it has that bleach white neck that looks hideous with it. It is a shame they didn't do anything to tint the neck at all. If the neck were tinted I could deal with the inlays.
    ~Nick

4. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Do you mean distracting to your eyes or audience's eyes? That is a great bass BTW...

5. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9

Sep 1, 2008
    My eyes. I could care less about the audience. I also know I should care less about aesthetics but I do have to factor that in a bit. Afterall I am spending $300 for an instrument that I plan to spend a lot of time on in the next few years until I get much better.
    ~Nick

6. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Personally, I think you shouldn't be looking at your bass that much when playing. Maybe practicing in the dark will help on this.

7. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9

Sep 1, 2008
    No I agree with that. It isn't so much while playing as it is when I look at the bass on the stand or whatever. It just is not pretty haha. I would gladly pay the extra 30$ for the classic vibe in that regard. Not to mention that the classic vibe is rarer in these parts.
    ~Nick

8. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    IMO, you should go with the classic vibe Jazz. The upper end squiers have great features for the cash as I love my VM fretless. It has a neck with dot inlays and a vintage tint plus the Jazz tone which you desire. And the white/tort look is to die for!

9. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Got it, you just find the bass ugly. I understand, blocks aren't attractive to everyone.

[​IMG]

10. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    Got it, you just find the bass ugly. I understand, blocks aren't attractive to everyone.

^that bass is beautiful!

11. stewart8980

stewart8980

Apr 11, 2008
    Rhode Island
    idk, I kind of like it. It's better than maple and pearloid IMHO

12. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9

Sep 1, 2008
    Ya that may be true. I forgot to mention that the other option is a used Ibanez sr480. There is a guy locally who wants around $250 for it. I have it at my house now to test out and it sure is nice. It is super light, tonally versatile, and has an onboard eq...something I was a bit hesitant about but after playing around with it I like quite a bit.
    ~Nick

13. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    That Ibby has good reviews on Harmony Central (although I always take that with a grain of salt). I really comes down to which bass you prefer. Do you want passive or active? I prefer passive because the sound I want is more vintage and I don't want to deal with batteries. Also, Ibanez's have very slim necks, even more so than a Jazz, which may translate to an easier transition from guitar to bass. If you have a chance, try everthing you can. This will help you to make a better (and lasting) decision.

14. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I need to find a blocked neck for my MIM deluxe jazz. "Then my ultimate weapon will be complete!"

15. EliasR

EliasR

Jul 29, 2008
    Anchorage
    You mean a neck like one of these?
    [​IMG]
    I'm such a pic whore...

16. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9

Sep 1, 2008
    I guess I am just hesitant to get the classic vibe squier being that I have heard very little about them. I want something that is tonally versatile. I don't know if the CV will do that for me. The MIM on the other hand gets mixed reviews. From some I hear they are overprice and from others I hear they are a great value. I like the idea of saving some cash and getting a used MIM jazzy but if the CV is that much better then I should go with that.
    ~Nick

17. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

The CV just came out like last month or something. Give it some time -- I haven't even seen one in a store yet, so I can't offer an opinion and I think I'm in the majority here in that few folks have seen or played one yet since they're so new.

I will say that my Squier VM '70s Jazz is a fantastic value, and I liked it better than some (but not all) MIM basses I've played.

Either one will be tonally versatile, and will have a relatively similar tone profile. If you can find a deal on a good used MIM Jazz locally, I'd do that, but I'd be more hesitant to buy one blind on ebay or something because there are some lemons out there (as with all basses). Sometimes good MIMs show up here on the TB classifieds, and the sellers here generally take great care of their gear so you can buy used with more confidence.

Otherwise, you could order the CV from Musicians Friend. They have a pretty good return policy if you don't like it.

18. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9

Sep 1, 2008
    Ya my local store is a fender dealer and does have the Squier VM 70's jazz basses in stock. I like them and they sure do play well however the necks on those things just are not visually appealing to me. I am going to head over there now to play one of them one more time. Maybe after some time with it in hand I will find it to be a superior deal for me. If not, maybe I'll go ahead and give the CV a try. I really wish more stores in my area, or anywhere around here for that matter, would stock them!
    ~Nick

19. I've owned the CV Jazz now for the past 3 weeks and I have been fairly pleased with it.

It is of decent weight (at the heaviest, 9 pounds), has very nice fretwork (no high frets), "feels" nice (the finish on the back of the neck is not as thick as that on the Geddy Lee bass) and is aesthetically pleasing (the tort guard looks a lot better in person).

Also, the stock bridge is really quite nice. While I don't have the equipment to measure and compare wave-forms of stock Fender-style bridges with the CVs design (brass saddles), it adjusts easily and sounds fine (like all bridges should).

The only real bummer is the lack of shielding (the pickups hum quite a bit) and the weak bridge pickup. The neck pickup sounds great, but the bridge pickup is a little thin by comparison. Both pickups together have a meager output, but sound very nice (think... get ready for a surprise...a jazz bass tone). A lot better than the MIM jazz basses I have played. Another small hassle was the stiffness of the tuners.

One last problem that I had, which may not happen to others, was a grounding issue. With my hands off the strings, the bass produced a nasty hissing noise. I also received very small shocks from time to time.

At the moment, the bass is at a local shop having new pickups installed as well as the cavities shielded with copper tape. Hopefully the technician will also solve the grounding issue. I bought the CV bass for $300 flat from a local shop. For the money, it is a very nice bass.

The ultimate question that I know will be brought up endlessly is how does it compares to SX basses. For the money, I think the CV is a nice alternative to the Mexican line of Fenders. That said, I think it is also a slight step above the SX basses. Were it not for the grounding issue (and somewhat noise-prone pickups) I would be more than happy playing the bass completely stock. Is it worth double the amount of your average SX? I think since so many mod their SX basses, in the end, the prices are likely to balance out.

The Squier CV Jazz is a nice bass. I would really like to hear other experiences with it as well. I will post a full review of how it behaves with the new pickups sometime next week (assuming the technician hops to it quickly).

Oh! One last comment - I played the CV 50s and 60s P-basses. The 50s bass had a lot of thump and sounded nice and hollow with the tone maxed out. The 60s P was a step-above the Vintage Modified. Its really a great time to be a bassist on a budget.

20. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9

Sep 1, 2008
    Marcus,

Thank you tons for the excellent reply. That is the kind of review I have been looking for regarding the CV jazz. From your report it sounds like a pretty good bass. The grounding issue that you mention is a bit bizarre especially considering that with the CV guitars I have tried out, the best quality other than the neck has been the silence of the pickups and the balanced tone that they put out.

It is funny how each different bass forum you visit regards the SX basses differently. Around these forums they seem to be well respected for what they are while some forums such as at ultimate-guitar.com regard them as crap. Although I try to convince myself that they are too good to be true it is hard for me to pass up this jazz bass that rondo has to offer. http://www.rondomusic.com/sjb75.html
    I have always dug the natural finish with black pickguard look. Additionally the white inlays sure do look nice. If I could get a consensus on those then I would surely save the $140 and get the SX and upgrade later.
    ~Nick