CXL-112 new vs old

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scutterflux, Oct 17, 2005.

1. So I recently purchased a couple of EA's Cxl-112's used. I tried the older one out not realizing there was a differance in the two I was comparing, and loved it. I thought it was a spectacularly even, balanced, and sweet cab. So I bought both of them. I noticed one was heavier, and some slight differances on the back panel, and grill screws. So I A/B'd them and to my suprise the one did sound a little thin in the lower mids. No I know what some of the talk about thin lower mids was about. The problem lies in the newer lighter models. I think EA should have kept the weight and tone. I mean who cares about 5lbs when the tone goes with it, or lack of it. Anyway the new one is still clear as a bell and you don't notice the thin low-mids when you stack them. So I'm still very pleased about my purchase, just thought If anyone is looking for a used EA cab they might be a little more pleased with the older model. By the way the newer model is marked cxl-112e and the older is just a cxl-112 so that'll throw the cxl-112e being the older model debate out the window. I think there was a tb thread on here that also confirms this.

Older heavier model is Supreme.
  2. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Yep, I agree the older/heavier one sounds much better. Only problem is the components for the heavy one are no longer available, so baby it!
  3. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    My newer cxl was the CXL12L and I thought my older ones were called CXL12E.
    I totally agree re sound and prefer the heavier, older CXL12(E???), as I thought it was called
  4. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    It was my understanding that the differences between the old heavy cxl-112 and the new lighter ones was not related to the driver, but cabinet construction. Is this not the case?

I have an older 112 that, in a moment of supreme supidity, I blew the speaker in. I ordered a replacement (via Bob Gollihur) and I honestly haven't noticed a difference between the way it sounds now and the way it sounded with the old speaker. Of course, I was not able to directly a/b the two.

Does anyone know if anything other than the cabinet was changed when they made the cxl-112 light?

edit: I'd imagine that the "e" in cxl-112e's stands for "extension" (for an iamp 800c perhaps). I guess that if they were making extension cxl-112's before and after the weight switch, then both versions could conceivably have the "e" suffix. Then again what do I know.
  5. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I was told it is the wood that was used..that gave more weight.
    I had to replace the driver in one cab ...the tweeter magnet is huge.
    The newer ones are smaller