CXL-112 + NL-210 or CXL-112 or ???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kael, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Ok, almost done "upgrading" my rig for a while at least. Heh, famous last words.

Now sitting with an old heavy version of an EA CXL-112 and an iamp 800. This set up works for about 50% to 75% of shows I gig (I just won't play with a guitarist who won't turn down or who brings a "full" stack). I'm currently running either a Hartke 15"/5" cab (1155 combo cab) or upon occasion a Peavey SP-2XT PA cab when the 112 just won't cut it alone. Well the 1155 combo will be out the door shortly, and I don't want to keep canabilizing my PA equipment for my bass rig, so.....

I am looking at puchasing either a 2nd CXL-112 (one of the newer "light ones" most likely) or a NL-210 to couple with my existing CXL-112. This leads me to a few questions.

Has anyone compared these two setups (2 cxl-112's vs cxl-112+nl210)? Results?

Who here has the oldest NL-210? How is it "holding up". I am fully convinced that the NL-210 will sound great and be of excellent quality. Yet the whole neo issue still has me edgy. How's the longevity with these cabinets? I play a moderate amount (rehearse roughly 1 hour daily and gig 1 to 3 times a week) and am a little concerned that it might not last as well as the CXL-112.

Has anyone had success pairing a CXL-112 with something else? I am strongly leaning towards EA at the moment, but am open to other options. Nothing larger than a 1x15"/2x10"/1x12"/etc please. If I had an Accugroove El-Whappo I probably would not be writing this post ;) . Cabs with a covering other than carpet strongly prefered (why do manufacturers still use that tacky/unravelling/stench-trapping crud? :scowl: ).

Thanks in advance.....
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, first, the good news. As far as I can tell, the CxL-112 will pair up well with just about any bass cab. Seriously! Now, the bad news, that means you have lots of options! But, my suggestion is that you get an NL-210 to add to it. The NL-210 is a great cab in its own right. It is more full sounding and more warm than the CxL-112, though the 112 does go deeper, and is more precise and super clear. The two blend oh so well together, though. In fact, this is one of my favorite EA cab combos. The CxL-112 also pairs up surprisingly well with a Wizzy 1x12 - and this despite the 8 ohm/4 ohm mismatch.

As for the longevity of the NL-210, while neo bass cabs may be the current rage, the technology has been around for some time. And if you have never spent any time talking to John Dong either via e-mail or the telephone, you really should. I own a lot of gear, and as a result of that, I end up communicating with a number of bass cab manufacturers. There are some truly great people out there! And I can say with all sincerity that John Dong is one of the most confidence-inspiring people I have met. Why do I tell you this? Because as far as I am concerned, if John and crew are willing to affix an EA badge to it, I have no doubt that it will be servicing you with the some of the highest fidelity in bass amplification for years to come. I own two NL-210's, and I've used them in rooms where other guys are bringing two 4x10's, and I kill them all on tone and volume. And these things haven't even broken a sweat!

I should also add that I have quite the VL-series collection, and despite their age, these cabs still sound phenomenal!

If you check out my blog, and you want me to give you my thoughts on a CxL-112 with any other cab, let me know, and I will try to accomodate you.

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    My NL-210 is prototype #3, so I would say that I mine might be the oldest. I have had no problems with the neo or the cab holding up. In case you are worried, you might want to ask Mr Bowlus about EA's customer service.

I play the cxl112 and a nl210 together. I find that the 210 evens out the 112 beautifully.