Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cxl 112 + what 15"er

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kael, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Played an outdoor show on sat with my cxl 112 sitting on top of a hartke 1155 combo cab. I really liked the clarity that the cxl provided mixed with the more physical low end a 15" speaker provides. At the same time this little voice in the back of my head is chiding me for mixing my EA stuff with the Hartke. So here I am thinking about fairly compact 15 cabs. Has anyone else tried a similar combination? Thoughts on which 15"ers would compliment the cxl.

If I can find a good compact 15" cab with a 5 to 6" mid driver I will effectively created a "Fake-U-Groove El-Copyo" stack, heh heh :D . Well at least I will have copied speaker size format anyway.

2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Another Cxl112 will add so much bass you wouldn't believe it. It seems like much more then two cabinets. What head are you using?

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Are you using the CXL-112 or the CXL-112L?

There is a world of difference btw. the two... The older, heavier CXL is a lot deeper and thumpier. The 112L is about 1--12 lbs. lighter and has more kick in the upper mids (about 1K-2K or so) and is much brighter with more presence.

if you're using the older one you may be looking for a little more punch. Perhaps a Bag End 115 would do you?

If you're uisng the newer 112L you're already plenty bright and punchy. Maybe you want some depth and growl. Perhaps an Aggie GS-112? Or an Epifani 112 or 115?

I had both the 112 and the 112L and added together you really get the best of most worlds... Clean, deep, loud, and clean. Relatively portable too!

4. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I have the older heavier CXL, although being used to moving PA mains and 4x10's I find myself chuckling when calling it the "heavy" one.

chadds:
    I was using my Warwick Streamer LX 6 through a Fishman Pro Platinum through a crest vs900. Tried the 3500 MOSFET head in the combo also but like the Fishman better. Probably need to figure out a better head setup here soon.

Big Joe:
    Are the two versions of the CXL really that noticeably different? Which of the Bag End 15 models were you refering to?

Hmm, maybe I should just double up on the cxls.....

5. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I've tried my "older" CxL with a couple of E-V loaded 1-15 cabs, but I didn't find it too nice for gigs on EUB, it was less than the sum of its parts for whatever reason. The Schroeder 1210 seems to pair up extremely well in my experience at home, but I've yet to actually gig with that combo.

6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    They really are worlds apart. Both sound clean but there is really no mistaking one for the other in even a blind test.

I was referring to the older BE single 115 w/out a horn. They sound great and are nice and punchy, but don't have alot of bottom.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My favorite cab to pair with the CxL-112 is the NL-210. The NL is more full sounding in the low mids (although the CxL-112 goes deeper), and it adds a nice degree of fullness and warmth to the very precise tone of the CxL-112.

Oh, and the CxL-112 will definitely take well to EQ-ing. You can dial in a good bit of lows and still maintain good clarity and articulation (no farting out!).

Tom.

8. if you're handy with wood and have the time, check out Bill Fitzmaurice's Tuba 24. Do a search in this forum, there have been a few lately. Also visit www.billfitzmaurice.com for a discussion group and plans.