Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CXL-112L great for Slab AND Upright Bass???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Now that I've got my CXL-112L I'm starting to wonder if I didn't pay close enough attention to who gave the CXL-112L's great reviews. I was gonna name names, but you know who you are ;) if you gave a "great" "best 112 I've ever played!" "best cab I've ever played" etc kind of review please respond. The reason I ask is it seems hard to dial in the right midrange and I didn't expect to have this much trouble. Bottom is increadible, but mids are a bit narrow at least with my G&L SB-1 pbass. Or maybe I'm expecting too much??

I'd like to know if the rave reviews were from Upright Bass players, Slabbers or both.

please respond or PM me if you want to be private.

thanks for your feedback.

mike

2. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Its a great SLAB CAB!

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I'll start out my saying that I endorse EA gear. I actively searched out this endorsement after comparing an EA 112 with my old Epifani T112. I did this in Mike Tobias' shop with 2 different heads, a WW and the EA iamp 600 and with an Electric Bass. I found that the Epi was really no comparison. It was really not in the same league as the EA. Both had a great hi definition sound but the EA had a fullness and richness that the Epi lacked.

The EA truly reflected the sound that I put into it. Driving the EA with the WW had a distintly different sound that the iAMp 600.

You cannot judge the Cxl-112 without first really looking into the signal chain. Your bass, your cord and your head (yes I did say cord, but that is for a different day).

My first "real" experience with the 112 was at the Anaheim Bass Bash. I played the iAMP 800 through 2 cxl-112's, using my MTD 435. I truly feel that the sound coming out of my system was significantly better than the other players there. The mix of clarity, punch and definition was truly stunning.

Although the CxL-112 shines with my Azola Bugbass, it is truly magnificint with my MTD 435.

But in all humility the CxL-112 is probably on reproducing what I am putting in to it ;)

Mike

4. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Mike,
    I've posted really positive comments on here about my CXL-112L. But I am indeed mostly an upright player. That is why I bought it. I have recently been playing some rock-roll (really funny for me) BG and I need to add a cab or two to my system. I've heard that two CXL-112Ls sounds pretty fierce, but I have some reservations about whether an all EA setup will give me the drive I need for my active MIA Jazz. I thought of seeing about adding an Aguilar 2x10 to 2 CXL 1x12s. I don't know... It will be interesting. I'm an acoustic person at heart, and all of this is sort of confusing.

I still think the EA is good stuff, but I haven't really gotten to use it much with my electric bass. I've heard that it is a little 'too' stark for some players. Everyone talks about EA being colorless (relatively so) and that is great for URB. But for BG, I would guess that the color your amp adds to the tone is all part of the sound.

Jason

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I play mostly DB, but for that I prefer the older EA VL208 cabs. The CXL 112 is my first choice for my doubling and Porkchop Only gigs precisely because, with my Smith 6 at least, it has a VERY in-your-face midrange presence. I also like to use a bit of preamp at times to tweak the tone for BG, but that's only because it's not an acoustic instrument, and certainly not any shortcoming on the part of the speaker.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I guess I'm just over analyzing the situation. $630 is ALOT for a 112 and I defenitely bought out of my budget, but it seemed like the logical choice since I liked the 208,210 and two cxl-110 minum the problems.

yes, the lows are incredible (mind blowing). If I had two cabs It might be too much for the room I play in (see attachment) in the picture you see the stage and band area (middle). the picture represents about 1/4 to 1/3 of the whole room.

Man, I hate when those ceiling tiles and lights start to vibrate!!

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Having EA stuff has taught me some very important things about my sound. Perhaps it is because the sound is so accurate. I have realized that a little tweak goes a very long way. Let me give you an example.

I had always played my MTD 435 full up. Turn the volume, bass, mid and treble all the way up. That is not a flat response, but a wave form with 3 great peaks in it. Once I turned the bass flat, and allowed the amp to create the volume, I learned a great deal about the nuances of the sound of my bass as well as myself. The EA CxL-112 just amplified it truthfully.

It doesn't make sense to treat your EA any other cabinet, for example an aggie 112. The aggie cabinet is colored to get a specific sound or vibe. That's cool if that is the specific sound you want. If not you might need a different cabinet for a different gig.

The EA cabinets specialize in getting your sound. I don't mean this to sound demeaning or negative, but if you are looking for something different, look at your hands, your bass, your strings, your cord, your amp head and most of all your attack on the instrument.

When I started playing my MTD flat, there were some things that I adjusted in the way I attacked the instrument. There was more range of sound, more nuance in dynamics.

You have an opportunity here to REALLY investigate your sound. The EA will give you the opportunity. Look for it. Take the time to think out of the box. Look at the cabinet differently than you look at a cabinet that has it's own "sound" or coloration. Find YOUR sound in your hands.

Check out EA's new site, there are some articles up and more will be up soon.

Mike

8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    The thing I kept coming back to, at least during my first practice with the cxl-112L, was the narrow width of the midrange I was getting. thinking I needed more midrange width, when I tweeked my tone controls, to cut throu the other sounds on stage.

I will play with tweeking the mids on my swr since that has a sweepable mid. I kinda wish I had all sweepable tone controls like the iamp 800.

A-HAAAA!! a fiendish plot from EA! buy the cabs, want the head to fix the sound!!! JUST KIDDING!!!! I'd really like to hear one though.

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Mike,

It sounds to me like what your hearing is not the cab but the SWR

Mike

10. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    How do you figure mike?

off topic: are those your initials?? avatar...

11. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    SWR is not known for its thick lower midrange . . .

12. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    mtd is "michael tobias designs." BUT, mr. dimin's middle initial could be "t."

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Agreed. That may explain why you are experiencing midrange difficulties. Relatively "flat" cabs will tend to uncover any weaknesses you may have in your signal chain. Conversely, more "colored" cabs may help to disguise (but not really eliminate) such weaknesses.

Tom.

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
  15. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    My 2 cents worth on the CXL112.I have one and it is the best all round upright cabinet out there. It is also the best URB/Electric doubling cabinet out there. I like it a lot on electric with one exception. I play in a Classic R&B/Motown/Funk band where I use my Modulus Q5 exclusively.For some reason I like the mid-bump on my Bag End S15D cabinet for that type of music. So the Bag End goes on those gigs and the EA stays home. But other than that the CXL112 is a great cabinet.

16. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Well, I got my GS-112 today and .... I WISH I GOT TWO it sounded so nice! The midrange still needs some tweaking, but its closer to what I need than the EA CXL-112L that I have AND WILL BE SELLING! the bottom of the GS-112 is pretty deep and smooth a friend played his 5 string through it as was very impressed. He's owned EA, EDEN he says it sounds close to edens sound.

I'm not gonna bother comparing the EA anymore to my aguilar HANDS DOWN for me I like aguilar tone better! if I can afford it I just might get THREE!!!