Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cyanoacrylate coatin a fingerboard (JT?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Player, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    I have a fretless with an ebony board that's about a year old. I use nickle roundwounds and am beginning to see a little wear on the board. It would probably be a couple more years before I actually had to resurface it, but I was thinking coating it may allow me to avoid ever having to resurface it. Does anyone have any experience with CA? or know where I can find any info?
    How does it sound? (JT??)

Thanks

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i love the sound - i can get a good mwah out of it, but it also gives me a sufficient snap that i can fool some folks into thinking it's fretted, with the proper tone settings.

i've heard some things about ebony, though, that it's hard to get a finish to stick to. i don't know for sure, but you may want to ask around some luthiers.

i'll email bill conlin and ask him.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yup...you'll find that ebony is an inherently oily wood that is difficult to get a finish to adhere too...it can be done; i'm not saying you can't, just be careful who you have apply it. hey, jt, is that the stuff you have on your boards? if it is, that stuff looks awesome...i remember seeing a piccy on the atlanta get together thread that had a piccy of one of your fingerboards, and you could distinctly see the reflection of the guys fingers on the fingerboard...coolio, indeedy :D

4. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, and it's really hard too. i originally had some kind of urethane finish on my first fretless, and that only lasted about 2 years, but this stuff is hard as nails.

5. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    I don't think getting CA to stick would be a problem. I don't think it's effected by the oils in the wood the way most finishes are and it doesn't need a very porous surface to adhere to. My real concerns are the leveling properties (I guess it depends on what type of CA you use) and how it sands. I know most varieties dry quickly so they probably don't self level very well and I'm afraid it would be a real bear to sand out any significant imperfections. I wonder if there's something you can add to it to slow the drying time and help it level out.

6. CA's great stuff. Check with a distributor that has Loctite brand. They've got a full line of CA products. I know you can buy "Gapping" glue that like to stand up. Plus you can slow it or speed it up. Just got to mix or squirt the right chemical in it:)

7. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    I just wanted to bump this up so JT doesn't forget me. Anything from Bill yet?

8. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no, actually not, which is unusual. i'm giving him a call on monday.

9. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    A little **bump** for JT. ;)

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i called yesterday and nobody was there. i'm calling today again - i also want to find out when my bass will be done.

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey JT...just a nickel's worth of free advice...i bet bill knows your number by heart...and knows how bad you want that brother to your 8 string fretless. i can't say i blame you though, as all of your basses are top notch, and i would want more too, but try this...how long did it take for your hollow-body? you _know_ you're on the back burner :D dial *67 before dialing bill's digits...this will allow you to call in stealth mode; he won't see your number! neat trick, when you have more than one girlfriend :eek: heheh

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    har har :D

actually, i talked to him yesterday, and lo and behold, i was mistaken about my basses. it seems that they are not the CA coating, but rather a sprayed on urethane finish. he told me that CA is a major pain in the butt to deal with, and the spray on urethane acrylic that he uses works really well. i must concur on that point - the finish that i have withstands slapping and general wear and tear very well, keeps it's gloss nicely, and sounds wonderful.

i thought that he used CA finishes on my fretlesses because one of the guys who used to work with him told me that that's what it was - one of the old electronics guys, obviously didn't know what he was talking about.

so there you have it - i'm not the guy to ask about CA finishes after all :D.

i did check all my basses, though, and they all do have at least 7 strings, so no worry on that front. :D

13. I've used CA on Maple FB's before, and it should work on Ebony. As far a leveling it, I've used Micromesh before (available at Stew-Mac), which is an ultrafine sand paper. The finest grit in the pack is 12,000. If you start with the coarser grits, and work your way down to the 12,000, then buff it - it should look and wear very well. It will definitley last a long time.

14. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks Herm. May I ask what kind of CA did you use? Did you use any additives to help it self level or slow the curing time?

15. I use this stuff from Bob Smith Industries, which is a distributor out of Atascadero, CA (no pun intended). It's been so long since I've bought some, that I don't remember how to get a hold of them.

They have thin, thick, and extra thick (gap filling) CA's. The thin stuff is what I use, although the thick will work also. You can also buy it with longer curing times to aid in leveling before hardening.

Be careful though, it's real easy to screw it up - mask off any areas around the FB you con't want to be coated. Like JT said, it is a pain to work with, and don't breath the fumes either, it does contain cyanide (hence the cyan part of the name)

16. I almost forgot, Highland Hardware has a great selection of CA too. Their website is www.highland-hardware.com, but they don't list it in their online catalog, though, because it's a new product they carry. You can request a printed catalog through a link on the homepage. The printed catalog has it listed in it. Great stuff!

17. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks for all the info.
    I think I'll get a scrap of ebony and practice a bit, but not till I'm done with my 6. I'm down to the final shaping of the body and I can't stop now. ;)