Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cyanoacrylate glue, purfling strips, and sanding to profile: quick questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basschair, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I'm about to glue in the veneer strips, and was going to use the following method: blue tape the sides of the neck up to just below the fret slots, few drops of CA into fret slot, insert veneer and hold to firmness, then a few more drops to fill any existing gaps (should be minimal, as the veneer fits well), repeat.

My questions are these:

1. how well does CA glue sand down, incase I get excess on the fingerboard (ebony)?

2. does this approach sound good, or should I skip the taping of the sides and do some more finish sanding of the wenge neck after I've glued the strips in order to get rid of the errant CA drip?

3. Will sanding with a radius beam that matches the existing profile be best fo getting rid of the bit (1 or 2 mm) of veneer that will be sticking out of the slots after gluing?

I think that covers it. I'll be working on this tonight, so any help is appreciated!

2. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    What thickness of cyno are you using? I put the purflings in first then glue over the top of it. The thin stuff fills in just fine assuming the veneer is fit tight to the board. The veneer and glue will sand down fine.

3. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I've got the Hot Stuff Super T glue by Satellite City. It's the semi-thin kind that's gap filling but doesn't dry in 5 seconds. It's supposed to have a good hold in about 20 seconds.

4. I'm with Scott here - Don't take the chance that the CA will grab and set as you are trying to insert the veneer - trust me, it can happen when you get the pieces into close contact. Put the strips in first and let the CA wick into to slot alongside. It also soaks the veneer, at least my poplar strips do, so they become hard as a rock in the slot and that just helps with the whole process.

5. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Go back and get just the Hot Stuff super-thin glue. You will use it for more than you can imagine anyway. Then do as the others say - insert strips, put glue on either side and let it do its magic. The micro-pipettes LMI sells are very useful for this sort of thing. CA sands just fine but leave it overnight - super glue's takes more than 20 seconds to reach full strength despite what some might say...

6. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    Keep in mind that the CA could act as a grain filler if it gets on a pourous wood like wenge. I'd definately do something to keep it off the rest of the neck.

7. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    "Keep in mind that the CA could act as a grain filler if it gets on a pourous wood like wenge. "

I do this to all my fretless Wenge boards. I spread it on with a card over the whole board and then sand it smooth.t