Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cycle of fifths

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by mjl422, Jul 3, 2002.

1. mjl422

mjl422

Jul 3, 2002
    Hey Michael,

What is the cycle of fifths used for? I know a lot of teachers talk about practicing scales and arpeggios around the cycle of fifths, but how is Western music built around it?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
  3. mjl422

mjl422

Jul 3, 2002
    Thanks,

That's exactly what I was looking for. I read another article somewhere else but, it wasn't as detailed.

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Glad I could be of help, he he :D

5. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    There's really nothing to add onto Gard's wonderful thread, but I'd just like to say if you're looking for a practice exercise using the Circle of Fifths here's what I do:

One day I will go clockwise around the Circle (in 5ths) playing 2 octave scales and their relative minors. Before you play the scales it helps if you say to yourself how many sharps or flats are in the key and what notes are sharp/flat. Then the next day you can go counter-clockwise around the Circle (in 4ths) doing the same thing. I find this little exercise very helpful and this is how I usually start my practicing day. :)

Cheers,
    Stephanie