cymbals in the mix

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Feb 19, 2005.

1. How do you like to have your cymbals in the mix? Is it a bit much to be able to hear all of them all the time? IE, the closed hi-hat pecking away or something. I know that often it gets drowned out and can't be heard, is that desirable? I personally love that stuff clicking away but I'm not sure if it appeals to others.
  2. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    In a perfect world the mix should sound like you are in the room with the band while they are rehearsing. If you can hear the high hat in the room, you should be able to hear it in the mix.
  3. Ahh I see. What about live recordings? Should it be heard over the crowd?
  4. I usually have a mic on the hihat and with that channel, I compress it, mix off to the right a little bit and take away all the lows and add a bump at 5Khz to get it to sit in it's place.

My preference with the crash cymbals, if there is two of them pan them left and right, EQ out the lows, add a bump at 15k for the one cymbal and 18k for the other (try it with both cymbals and find out which works better for each) and lastly add some large hall reverb to add some ring.

I find that with very small bumps and tweaks you can make everything stand out in it's own sonic space,... but if you go overboard it will sound fake and unnatural.

Hope that helps.