Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Czech bass pic's

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by speedster, Mar 2, 2006.

1. speedster

speedster

Aug 19, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I sent a few pic's to Ken Smith and got his opinion of this bass, any others want to comment on it..

Approx. 100 yr. old, approx. value ???

http://ca.msnusers.com/Czechbasspics

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.

Are these the exact Pics I saw? Not that it's a test, but I don't mind if you share the opinion I had when you sent the pics. I don't recall my opinion exactly so if you have it, copy n paste my words. It's fine with me.

3. speedster

speedster

Aug 19, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Added a few more pic's......

Just interested in others opinions of bass, hadn't had a chance to play it. Got it home and man the bass is a cannon with huge tone and great clear bottom end punchy bass...

Awesome set up, good straight fret board no dips and hollows, no humps, no buzzing all the way up the fret board.

Appears that there are no structural problems at all, looks like some old cracks on the spruce top have been professionally repaired some years ago, all good and tight.

Thanks Ken, apparently there are others lurking this site and I'd be interested to get their opinions with out bias of your initial opinion....

4. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA

Sure, I agree with you 100%. Those with some level of knowledge will have their own opinions regardless of what I had said. I am fairly certain that we will have similar but maybe not exact opinions. The Bass looks great by the way. It's always nice when it sounds as good as it looks..

5. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Hi Speedster,

Not to rain on your parade, but is this the same bass that you're selling in the TB Double Bass Classifieds? If so, it seems you've got two different agendas going (i.e, getting other's opinions vs. selling it)....

My .02 cents.

"the bass is a cannon with huge tone and great clear bottom end punchy bass..."

6. speedster

speedster

Aug 19, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I sent pic's to Ken initially and asked about getting approx age verification etc..

At the time Ken asked about sound and tone etc. could'nt give him a anwser as I hadn't had a chance to mess with it..

My retired buddy (first instrument instructor) had picked it up at an estate sale and did a little cleanup and set up work on it.

He isn't computer literate and he asked if I would post it for sale for what he has in it...

I personally thought it was worth more but posted it anyway...

Ken gave me his opinion and I was just mentioning the sound thing which was one of his first questions as it affects value...

Had it sold right away but the guy lives along way from us and he backed out this morning so I thought I would get second opinions as to value & age, don't want to sell to low and don't want to hose anyone !!

To be quite honest, I know jack about Carved bass's value wise, I own a old German plywood... After doing some research into them ........ its scarey how expensive they can be....!!!

I play in a bluegrass band so I'm into plywood and EUB's, they handle the outdoor climates better...

Hope that clarifies.....

7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I'll bump this thread to announce to the dark side of TB that I can officially post since I now have my first DB.

The bass sounds great. It looks wonderful. I wanted something that looked like it had a story to tell. Perhaps that's shallow. Based on the price paid and the sound I will be happy for some time. While playing yesterday I kept thinking my Blackberry was vibrating but it was not even on my belt loop. Just the bass resonating. I love the physicality of having this big intrument leaning on me. Feel like I am home.

Now I can try and break some of my NS Design bad habits especially my reliance on position markers. I plan to have an adjustable bridge put on the bass and have it checked out by a luthier. There is violin maker who is close to me who also deals in Christophers and Eastmans so I will have him spend some time with the bass. Actually I expect I'll sell the NS Design and get an Eminence so that switching basses feels similar. Looking forward to getting my chops in order, which are OK since I've been playing the NS, and then making a trip to vist my brother-in-law in NYC and playing everything in sight and who knows, buying one of Arnold's master pieces.

Anyone know any DB suppliers like Gollihur who are located in Canada? I'm perfectly happy to order from the States but easier if I can find a Canadian location. I want to get a good bag and pickup.

8. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA

I'm sure Bob would be more than glad to ship it to you in Canada. Give him a call or PM.

9. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Thanks Ken. I sent an email to Bob last night. Looking forward to hearing from him.

10. Bob's bag is a lotta bag for little money, if you don't mind that it's made offshore. Mine's holding up well.
    I'm in Ontario about 3 hours east from you. (and I lived in London for nine years- Wharncliffe and Baseline Road area.) Even considering shipping, exchange and border charges it's still a good deal.
    And IMO, you can't go far wrong with a BassMax.

Edit: http://www.violins.on.ca/canada.html
    Personally, I've had good experiences dealing with The Sound Post and Heinl's in Toronto.