Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Czech Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by margiemai, Dec 23, 2004.

1. margiemai

margiemai

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    I am interested in buying a bass in an internet auction. The only info the owner is able to give me is that it was new in the mid sixties and that it is made in Czechoslovakia. There is no makers name.

Does anyone have a similar bass and if so can you give me any more info? Do they make really cheap basses or are Czech basses usually to be trusted?

If I go to see this bass, what sort of things should I be looking out for?

I currently have a cheap bass (a Palatino) and want one of better quality sound-wise and have only started to play again recently after a break of about 30 years so don't know an aweful lot about them! Thanks for any insight you are able to give.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Well, it has to be made after WWI......If the Label is in English, it was an export/import for a Distributor in the USA. Many of them are shop Basses/ Cottage Industry.. Parts made by many and assembled in the shop.

There are many qualities from the Czech/Bohemian Region. Some are master instruments and some are cheap factory made Basses. It's had to tell you what to expect or look for when you go to see it.

?Maybe you can post some pics of it here and I/we can give you some better pointers than shooting in the dark.....?

3. margiemai

margiemai

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    I hope there are some pictures attached. I am new to this so cannot guarantee it has worked! Thanks for your comments.

Attached Files:

4. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    You might want to ask the seller to check under the saddle if there is a stamp there of a name or date, if so get a pic of it.

5. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Trial period.

Don't buy this bass without first trying it out, and (if you can) get it to a luthier, teacher, or professional upright bassist to inspect it for a few minutes. How much is the seller asking?

6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Looks like a regular Plywood Bass..... Fine Basses are not shaded like Fender Precision Basses....!! Don't pay too much. It also looks very new...

7. margiemai

margiemai

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    The original asking price was £1800 but it didn't sell. It is back on again for £900 (approx $1710)