1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Czech basses - buying there, shipping here

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by pfschim, Apr 29, 2010.

1. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    so, I am a slab player, but came up playing upright. It's been many years since I have played upright with any regularity, but I still like the idea very much.

I am planning on moving and working my day job in Prague for the next 2 years or so, and got to thinking about staying active and how I would manage to keep playing. In this process I realized that the Czech Republic has some reputation as a having upright manufacturers. So, I may want to consider getting a bass locally in the CR, and then when I return, pack it up and send it back to the US with the rest of my stuff.

So, does anyone on this side of TB have any views on whether or not this makes any sense ? and are there certain makers that I should consider over others ?

any constructive help on this will be most welcome.

thanks

2. Andrew Hamilton

Andrew Hamilton Guest

Apr 18, 2010
    I don't know how much this helps you, but my instrument was shipped from Albuquerque, NM to Richmond, Va through SouthWest and it cost me over 350$. The bass shipped fine and arrived in perfect condition.

3. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    Check the Atelier Paganini,in Spanielska St.,behind the State Opera.There are many fine instruments of old and contemporary makers in reasonable prices.The owner,Miroslav Bures, is a man to do business with.
    The shipping cost varies.Delta Airlines charge about $250 from Europe to the States and it's the best price i found.
    Mike

4. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
  5. Stan Haskins

Stan Haskins

Nov 17, 2005
    NY and Miami
    YOu may want to look into hiring your own shipping container to send all of your things back, including the bass. Remove the soundpost, make an appt here to get the bass set up after you return . . .

6. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    thanks to all for the replies. As you might suspect I have many things to consider at the moment, but will definitely chase the upright thing once I get situated over there. (probably in July/Aug).

Shipping does not appear to be an issue (financial or otherwise).

Mikman and LouisF - we are planning to live in Vinorhady, so I'm sure a trip to Atelier Paganini will happen soon after we get settled.

Stan, love the sig, don't let the bastards wear you down :cool:

7. MIKMAN

MIKMAN

Mar 4, 2008
    Larisa, Greece
    Vinohrady is a trendy place in Prague,so you'll enjoy it.Another good idea is to rent a car and visit the Strunal factory in Luby.You can try the whole product range and also some instruments made by Strunal's luthiers in their private workshops. The prices will be unbeatable.
    Finally if you look for something higher you can search for Prague's
    luthiers.In the price range of 5-7 thousand euros you can have a custom made masterpiece.
    Good luck and enjoy it.
    Mike